Samsung Announces 1 TB mSATA SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
That is an impressive drive in size, capacity, and read/write speeds. It's kind of makes 2.5" SSD harddrives seem a bit clunky and out of date. I'm sure it's not going to come cheap!

The more companies that push out 1TB SSDs and the more options they push out, the lower it will drop per GB.

If they push fast enough we could see 1TB SSDs for a very good price very soon. And considering that you can fit 1TB into the mSATA form factor, I would expect 2-4TB to be easy to create in the 2.5" form factor.

f-14

Distinguished
Specifications
Interface: SATA 6Gbps
Nominal capacity: 1TB
Formatted capacity: 931.51GB (~6.8 percent over provision)
NAND flash: 4 x 256GB 19nm Samsung Toggle DDR 2.0 TLC
Controller: Samsung 3-core MEX
Cache: 1GB LPDDR2
Warranty: Three years
+1 to Schizo
this is just DDR2 at best at 1200mhz, sweet jesus imagine DDR3 at 1600mhz. maybe when they change DDR they will skip 2 and go to DDR4 or DDR5? one can only hope, help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
This thing can plug right into my asus impact mini itx board, :3 hope they make it cheaper than a standard ssd. Haha but I know better...this things likely to be 500+

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
@f-14, You make me laugh. Do you even realise how expensive that RAM would be? The cheapest DDR3 I could find works out at around £7.50/GB (8GB / £58.00 - scan.co.uk), even if you lower than to £5/GB that still works out at £5,000/TB, let alone the costs for GDDR5.
Also, we would need the rest of the hardware to speed up otherwise you will just reverse the bottlenecks. Right now, CPUs/APUs and GPUs are slowed down by how fast they can get the data flowing so with current memory speeds for the hardware there just is no need for the mass storage to be that fast.
So we still have some way to go. :)

vfunct

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Should have been PCIe instead of mSATA.

Also, the rest of the system needs to be eventually small & modular like this - CPU, GPU, DRAM, etc.. Give me a pocketable motherboard!

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
These do produce heat so packing these 128 gigabit (Gb) 1x-nm NAND flash memory chips into a tiny 2.5 to get to 3-4 TB might be pushing power and heat dissipation too far.
Can't wait for the new M.2 standard to get here.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Not having to route SATA cables to get big storage in a Mini-ITX machine will help push some more ambitious build projects I have in mind. Those built in mSATA ports ASRock has been including for years look like a much more valuable feature now.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
vfunct
Should have been PCIe instead of mSATA.

Also, the rest of the system needs to be eventually small & modular like this - CPU, GPU, DRAM, etc.. Give me a pocketable motherboard!

This is for laptops, desktops is a decaying market. PC manufacturers are behind on ultrabooks, they're only market to make decent profit. They've flopped in the past 3 years, offering mSata is a good option since it will allow upgradable storage. They still cannot put a good ultrabook for price+build material quality+specs+battery life.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I think the reference of pcie may be for the drives that Apple have been moving toward, not exactly full PCIe slots on a computer.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I can't wait for these to be available. I'd really like to be able to stick more than 250gb under an ASRock z77/z87 mini without having to pay $1/Gb for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.