Samsung Announces 105-inch Curved UHD TV for CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
curved because it creates a more realistic view, when looking at things in real life you have a field of view surrounding you. Not all crammed into a flat space.

@oxxfatelostxxo: This is true, but what happens when you look at something that is not ment to be curved, at a curved TV? When they plan to make curved monitor software (Games, Movies), then we will see....

mo1d

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Some of you clearly don't seem to realize that ever time you've been to a movie theatre in the last couple decades, you were watching a curved display...

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Nope, I've never even noticed the screens at movie theaters were curved. So since I never noticed it, then how does that me want to buy a curved screen for my home?

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Phatboe, if the cinema screen was as curved as these you would definetly notice that. Plus you have a fixed point of view in a cinema so the distortion can be easily corrected by the projector lens.

john768

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Cinema displays are not curved. Seriously, how do you think the guy sitting in the far left/right side will be able to watch the movie properly?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I just don't get this.
I will never buy a curved screen/TV/monitor.
Bigger? Yes
29:1 rather than 16:9? Yes
8K? Yes
Cheaper? YES!!!

Curved? Never. Not for me.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i can see the issue with curved. it is pretty much impossible to mount, and since moving from crt's, lcd have saved a LOT of living room space. this pretty much makes the whole thin/space saving argument complete moot.

BUT i can see it being awesome for rich folk with lots of unused space. so sure, why not? i would wait for the 4k version though

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
There is no problem with "distortion"on the opposite, curved display FIGHTS it.

Knowing where users sit, you can present correct image using screen of any form (sinusoidal, if you wish), but the point is, if you leave original picture intact, curved display will have less of distortion. (curve will apparently work best only if distance to TV and curve radius match)

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Knowing where user sits. That's the key. And in a living room you don't always sit on your couch so your pov may be different. Besides, recording on a planar sensor with no lens distortion means those images are meant for a planar surface. Any curve would just introduce distortion.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Ok, So from the comments here I am supposed to understand that being different is bad and wrong no matter whether it's based on ignorance or stupidity.
Got it.

Curved screens work great in massive scale like an IMAX theater. They are not feasible in relative small form factor in a house. You'd need to sit in the very center to get the best viewing position on something like this. Imagine sitting 30 degrees off to the left or right of this thing. Uhm, no.

USAFRet

Titan
For all of you "OMG! This is too expensive!!"

Where were we a few years ago? A 60" , 4" thick?!?? That can't exist!"

I have one, given to me for free, because the owner did not want to hassle with a $100 new DLP bulb.
For free...

Where will we be in a few years? 4K, curved, hologram?
Sure, it's expensive now. Just like a 60" flat panel was $20K a few short years ago

It's not meant to be a seller. It's created to generate excitement, a marketing tool. Sure, some will buy it, but that's not what its really for. I'd rather take someone to the movies 360x than buy it, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.