Samsung Announces Faster Flash Memory For Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is fantastic news. I've always been curious why the memory inside smart phones is so behind the times, and it looks like Samsung is finally looking to remedy that.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]I'm waiting for the "But can it play Crysis" comment....[/citation]
i got the boiling oil ready to pour down their mouths

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]I'm waiting for the "But can it play Crysis" comment....[/citation]
What does "Can it play Crysis?" have to do with flash memory? I don't get it. We're talking about a flash memory, not a computer of its own. I wonder if the DROID 4 will be able to...though.

so now phone flash is equivalent to PC HDDs of the late '90s. Except at a fraction of the power/cost. It really is amazing how smart phones have progressed in the last few years. They are so close to being useful that it is very tempting.

Just one more year and I think they will be able to do what I want them to do (replace my netbook).

G

[citation][nom]t_wilson[/nom]Are you talking about 64GB or 64Gb here? Make up your mind.[/citation]

The embedded multimedia card (e-MMC) uses a stack of eight 64 Gb, 20 nm NAND flash memory chips with a toggle DDR 2 interface. It is about 1.4 mm thick and weighs 0.6 grams.

Spend a little more time reading and you might understand something. 8 stacks of 64Gb NAND = 64GBs of NAND

Status
Not open for further replies.