Samsung Announces Galaxy Note5 And Galaxy S6 Edge+ Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Of course the S6 Edge is popular. What did they expect it to be? They did absolutely nothing to their smartphones design-wise since the jump from S2 to S3. They kept re-releasing the refined S3 as S4, S5, S6...it was about damn time they did something to their phones. That's the Edge. They finally innovated their phone design. The S6 Edge is expensive but if I were to buy a phone that would probably be my first choice.

Non-removable batteries and lack of expandable storage are serious issues though. Taking them out of a modern phone is equivalent of going backwards, NOT forward. This is the sort of decision-making that drives customers away. Same idiotic decisions as in many of Microsoft's cases. Same <mod edit> thinking.

Watch the language. - G

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Sometimes, my Note 2 just locks the <mod edit> up! Removing the battery has been the only way to recover. What now? I can get over no microSD slot, but this?!? I dunno. What do people do when a phone without a removable battery just locks up and wont shut down?

Watch the language. - G

roscoe303

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Doesn't make sense that they would only do 32/64 variants for there latest Note when the Note 4 can have up to a 128GB with microSD. Probably should have gone 64/128 if there were only going to be two variants, at least for there Note series anyway

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
So wait, does the Note 5 have an IrLED or not? The wife uses her phone as the TV remote almost exclusively. If I upgrade, I'd want to as well.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
As an owner of a Samsung Note 4, I would not buy the Note 5 because of the lost of the removable battery and missing micro SD card slot. The better processor, more memory and the touch fingerprint sensor are nice to have, but non-removable battery is the real killer, since the batteries have a high but limited recharge cycle. So you are forced to buy a new phone.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I can do without the SD card or removable battery, I have a S4 and will get the S6 Edge+ when it is available at my t-mobile

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Appears that everything that was attractive about the note series is gone except the s-pen. Note series R.I.P. you are now nothing more than a big S6 with a pen.

Note 2 owner for 3 years, recent owner of a Note 4. So happy I didn't wait for the Note 5. I use both the micro sd and the swappable battery.

JT11

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
The build quality on these Samsung phones are second to none. We can bicker all we want on SD and Battery Swaps but hey, to each their own.

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh compared to previous Samsung phones I completely agree. I had an S2 and the thing was so cheap that I wound up replacing it after a year with an HTC One. My S6 is a million times better.

roscoe303

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

I don't believe there is an IR blaster on the Note 5

DJ Wahaba

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
I'm sorry... too little too late. If someone can convince me why should I pay more than double for a phone just because it's Samsung and the screen has more resolution that my eyes can't even notice please do so. My Oneplus One Is better than the latest Samsung models and the OP 2 made this unveiling Obsolete.

roscoe303

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

Well if you can GET the OP2 then maybe. Regardless as long as they keep that invite system I'll pass on anything OnePlus puts out. Being able to get the phone is important.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I just don'tunderstand Samsung's reasoning here. Why remove good features. I use a galaxy S4 with 16g+128 g card and just ordered a 4100mah battery. Wish they would bring back the ability to do that to there new products. Samsung is pushing me away from them which is unfortunate because I really love my current phone.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
When the S6 came out without a removable battery and microSD, I could at least sort of understand Samsung's thinking. They wanted to move to more premium materials to compete with the iPhone in terms of looks and feel. However, for a phone (Note 5) designed or at least marketed for productivity the omission of a removable battery and microSD essentially removes two of its most useful features for productivity. I can't tell you how many times a spare battery has come in useful and how much time it has saved for me. Also anyone who likes taking a lot of video and photos with their phone could also tell you just how nice it is to have a microSD card in their phone.

Gutiari

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
The galaxy note 5 sucks. they really messed up plain and simple.

no removable battery
no sd card
same old camera from the s6
same old screen size from the note 4

they refreshed all the parts of the note 5 to the same thing that the s6 has. because they upgraded to the same SOC, processor, GPU, and camera of the s6. this is ridiculous. this phone has no new tech and the only thing that differentiates it from the rest of the product lineup is the 1GB more of memory to make it a total of 4GB. that is a big insult. when someone said they had a Samsung Galaxy Note, people knew you spent an arm and a leg and you got the best phone with all the whistles and bells. they used to throw the whole kitchen sink into this phone, but there are other phones with better technology, especially the camera. sony's xperia lineup will be the new Note. big screens, better camera, removable storage & battery, waterproof, the works.

samsung, you screwed yourself. i have been a loyal SGN consumer from the initial note, but your latest product is an abomination and this is the straw that broke the camel's back. im no longer going to support your mobile product line, and i will be switching to another phone manufacturer and i will recommend my social circle does the same thing.

game over.

Smaller battery than last year's model? All for the sake of slimness?
Samsung is trying to please Apple customers; unfortunately, it made choices that alienates Samsung customers. They tried this before and it didn't work. They have a prime example in the poor results with SGS5 last year. The only good thing is that there are plenty other phone makers to choose from. Motorola seems to hit all the right notes lately, as does LG and Sony; even Asus is not far behind, not to mention the likes of Huawei and co.
There is always a Nexus phone to look forward to. Samsung will learn that Android users are NOT a blind flock of brand followers, and will bleed some more sales towards it's competition. There are choices within Android world, no reason to settle with only one manufacturer.

g-unit1111

Titan

The camera on the S6 is quite good actually. All the images that I took on my PC Part Picker pages came directly from my S6.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Same screen, smaller battery... what the??
My note 4 already depletes in 2 days or less, now the note 5 might make it just over a day.... far less for power users.

I can live without the SD card, though it makes transferring files between phones and my pc's much easier, i can live without it.

But the battery being removable is not a good thing. Sometimes even with modern phones, thats the only way to reset it. I had to do it to my daughters LG the other day, it wouldn't do anything or reset on it's own, and I don't feel like going/sending it to a repair shop/an hour on my phone to CS, just to reset a phone, that's incredibly silly.

But the smaller battery in that phone seems like the worst idea of the bunch. Smaller battery in a phone that demands more from it = foolish move.

Oh well, i just got my note 4 in june, and i'm happy with it, seems like I'll be using it long after the payments are done.

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
So wait, does the Note 5 have an IrLED or not? The wife uses her phone as the TV remote almost exclusively. If I upgrade, I'd want to as well.

The Note5 does not appear to have IrLED. Samsung's official spec sheet does not list IrLED support, and we did not notice one when we physically handled it.

- Matt Humrick, Mobile Editor, Tom's Hardware

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Ill try this again since this site now craps on its self with the loggon being forgotten every time you post...

There was a glitch with logins timing out too early. I'm told the fix is imminent.

And now, back to the Note 5 and edge+.

Status
Not open for further replies.