Samsung Announces Galaxy S2 Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why when the S4 is coming this Spring would someone get this. Its like buying a xbox now its 7 year old hardware.

bisso

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Why when the S4 is coming this Spring would someone get this. Its like buying a xbox now its 7 year old hardware.[/citation]
No it's not. GS2 works just as great as any other phone with Jelly Bean. There isn't any game or app that can't run on your GS2 that runs on GS3, at the exception of Benchmark results, the GS2 remains a very solid phone. I do have one, and for no reason would I go grab a GS3 or even a future GS4 until my current phone can't run things new phones can.

And the reason people would grab a GS2plus is the reason S4 will be around 550$, while they could sell this baby for half the price. Let's not forget GS2 has been seen as the best phone for its time, and that wasn't so long ago.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Samsung innovation at its best!

Guess they didn't have something to copy and this is what we get...

Sure they're good at making displays, but lack any innovation outside of that. They can Fab cpu's architected by other companies. They're also good at taking existing products, updating them and selling them cheaper, that's their real strength.

Samsung microwaves, did they really build this technology, of course not.
Samsung refridgerators, did they really create this technology, of course not.
Samsung ultrabooks, did they really push or create this space, of course not.
Finger touch tablets, did they really create this market we now enjoy, of course not.
Finger touch smartphones, did they really create this new product line every manufacturer now is creating products for, of course not.
Operating Systems, did they really create one that powers their phones, of course not, they did have BADA which is a piece of crap which they don't even bother to use.

All the processors you see Samsung producing are not developed by them, sure they tweak the specs, but the major R & D is done by other companies.

Samsung makes products cheap, good, but does not innovate, create new markets for products.

If this was Apple releasing a iPhone 4 plus or iPhone 4S plus, the Droid heads would be flooding comments at a rate of 10 per minute about how Apple has no innovation, what a double standard.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Samsung innovation at its best!

Guess they didn't have something to copy and this is what we get...

Sure they're good at making displays, but lack any innovation outside of that. They can Fab cpu's architected by other companies. They're also good at taking existing products, updating them and selling them cheaper, that's their real strength.

Samsung microwaves, did they really build this technology, of course not.
Samsung refridgerators, did they really create this technology, of course not.
Samsung ultrabooks, did they really push or create this space, of course not.
Finger touch tablets, did they really create this market we now enjoy, of course not.
Finger touch smartphones, did they really create this new product line every manufacturer now is creating products for, of course not.
Operating Systems, did they really create one that powers their phones, of course not, they did have BADA which is a piece of crap which they don't even bother to use.

All the processors you see Samsung producing are not developed by them, sure they tweak the specs, but the major R & D is done by other companies.

Samsung makes products cheap, good, but does not innovate, create new markets for products.

If this was Apple releasing a iPhone 4 plus or iPhone 4S plus, the Droid heads would be flooding comments at a rate of 10 per minute about how Apple has no innovation, what a double standard.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Well if it's like $249 off contract that sounds like a solid device.[/citation]

Exactly. Attack the bottom of the market with this phone, the middle with the S3, and the upper with the S4. All of the accessories are already out there, chargers, docks, cases, etc. This is a really good idea.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Actually the Galaxy S II CAN handle a 64GB micro SD. After reading online that people have done so successfully, I installed one myself on my S II. Works like a charm!

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Well if it's like $249 off contract that sounds like a solid device.[/citation]

Exactly. This phone serves the lower end of the market, the S3 the middle, and the S4 the upper end. Plus, all of the needed accessories are already out there. No, it brings nothing new to the table, that's the S4's job, but it is a really good idea from a market position perspective. This is same logic Apple is using with the iPhone mini.

zigziggo

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I have the S2 (Sprint variant). As far as the US version goes, the S3 isn't any different aside from screen size, NFC and LTE support. Sure, the S3 clocks in at 1.5Ghz, but wipe your S2 and put the latest CM10 (JB 4.1.2) on it and overclock the processor (mine is at 1.8Ghz) and the S2 is still a beast. With that, you can do all of the things that the S3 does (including the look away feature). I know; mine is doing it. And the hotspot is free, not $30/month for 5 gigs of data...

zigziggo

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I have the S2 (Sprint variant). As far as the US version goes, the S3 isn't any different aside from screen size, NFC and LTE support. Sure, the S3 clocks in at 1.5Ghz, but wipe your S2 and put the latest CM10 (JB 4.1.2) on it and overclock the processor (mine is at 1.8Ghz) and the S2 is still a beast. With that, you can do all of the things that the S3 does (including the look away feature). I know; mine is doing it. And the hotspot is free, not $30/month for 5 gigs of data...

zigziggo

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

zigziggo

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
holy spam zigziggo....

The GS2 is a really good phone, in some way I prefer it to my GS3. I think the GS3 is a better looking phone, its screen is amazing and battery life double what my GS2 was, but the GS2 was much more durable. As for overclocking your GS2 to get GS3 performance, whats the point? With the amount of time it takes to root, custom flash, and tweak a GS2, you could just buy a GS3. The difference in price is only like $100.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
The difference though is that Samsung will not position this phone as its new top end model. It just seems like to me that they are going to try to win the entry level smartphone market, aka teens on their parent's family plans (This is me), off-contract, prepaid, etc. Get a Samsung in their hands and sell them up the line up as they grow older. Automakers have been doing this forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.