Samsung Announces Galaxy S3 Premium Suite Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
You can bet that Apple lawyers will review the pack and if any of the new features will look like something they may have mentioned at a breakfast meeting as possible future upgrades for IOS they will file a lawsuit on copyright infringement.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]You can bet that Apple lawyers will review the pack and if any of the new features will look like something they may have mentioned at a breakfast meeting as possible future upgrades for IOS they will file a lawsuit on copyright infringement.[/citation]

Don't forget that during that breakfast meeting they "wrote the idea down on a napkin" first.... thereby justifying they invented it first.

halcyon

Splendid
As the owner of an S3 the value that Samsung keeps slinging as a weapon is quite impressive. Tell me, what other manufacturer anywhere is doing better? Offering more? I've owned multiple iPhones and said it here before, I feel sorry for those that think the iPhone is the pinnacle of smartphones. The One X is nice but even it can't keep up with its not removable battery and less featured UI. Yes, the Note II is THE device to have (for those that the size works for) but the S3 is right there next to it (and I'm glad I've got one).

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
very nice upgrade for the SIII users. Zak, +1 for not mentioning Apple or iPhone in this article, you're improving :)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Meanwhile every other Samsung phone gets ignored ...I'll never buy another Samsung.[/citation]
They have other phones?

Please don't answer that...it was facetious.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Meanwhile every other Samsung phone gets ignored ...I'll never buy another Samsung.[/citation]
Tell that too my Note II...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy [/nom]Meanwhile every other Samsung phone gets ignored ...I'll never buy another Samsung.[/citation]

[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Tell that too my Note II...[/citation]

Unless you buy their highest end flagship phones (Galaxy S and Note) lines, buying Samsung will guarantee poor update support. They already have pretty crappy support for their S and S2. I wonder in 1-2 years if you will still be able to even update your S3 and Note II, maybe you will when the new OS is like 6 months old, like what they're doing with the S2 and JB

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Unless you buy their highest end flagship phones (Galaxy S and Note) lines, buying Samsung will guarantee poor update support. They already have pretty crappy support for their S and S2. I wonder in 1-2 years if you will still be able to even update your S3 and Note II, maybe you will when the new OS is like 6 months old, like what they're doing with the S2 and JB[/citation]
So what is the concensus on how long manufacturers and carriers should engineer support for and then roll out the latest OS for their phones. 3 years? Would that be the most fiscally wise thing for them to do?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Unless you buy their highest end flagship phones (Galaxy S and Note) lines, buying Samsung will guarantee poor update support. They already have pretty crappy support for their S and S2. I wonder in 1-2 years if you will still be able to even update your S3 and Note II, maybe you will when the new OS is like 6 months old, like what they're doing with the S2 and JB[/citation]
You mean they won't update all their phone forever?? lol

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Unless you buy their highest end flagship phones...[/citation]
Um, the S2 was their "flagship phone" when it came out, no? lol

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

So you think there should be no differentiation in the support between more and less expensive models? Samsung you're corporate slime, logical people expect you to do everything the same at every price point.... Drrrrr.

FYI-You can always root the older, or lesser models to upgrade.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]So what is the concensus on how long manufacturers and carriers should engineer support for and then roll out the latest OS for their phones. 3 years? Would that be the most fiscally wise thing for them to do?[/citation]

Apple generally has 3 years. Microsoft seems to be about 5 years.

Android on average is well below that.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Um, the S2 was their "flagship phone" when it came out, no? lol[/citation]

Yes, so what's your point? They are going to provide a JB update for it, just taking forever but at least you'll get it compared to other Samsung and Android device that are similar age or less and won't.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bjaminnyc[/nom]So you think there should be no differentiation in the support between more and less expensive models? Samsung you're corporate slime, logical people expect you to do everything the same at every price point.... Drrrrr. FYI-You can always root the older, or lesser models to upgrade.[/citation]

Microsoft seems to support updates on their mobile devices even if they aren't the highest end phones (as long as the hardware can support the upgrade).

Rooting is not an option if you do not want to void your warranty.

To buy a phone for $200-$500 and have roughly less than 1 year update support is a shame. This is what Samsung manages to do.

halcyon

Splendid
^You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Apple generally has 3 years. Microsoft seems to be about 5 years.Android on average is well below that.[/citation]
I'm not positive about this, so don't quote me, but I think Apple has a lot less devices to think about. Its good though, that getting updates on iOS devices can be taken for granted. I doubt Android will ever see that.

unimatrixzero

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
After Samsung's announcement, Apple is feverishly working on patenting all of the graphical "animations" for those software upgrades:
Page Buddy
Contexual Menu
Contexual Tag
Multi Window
Auto Share Shot Paring using NFC
Reader Mode
Facebook Lock Ticker

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
After Sales support of samsung somewhat sucks.. No upgrade for my galaxy Note 1still. POS.. not buying any phones anytime yet.. this years samsung phones will be ignored next year and new version of Android and samsum Phone will come up.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Don't forget that during that breakfast meeting they "wrote the idea down on a napkin" first.... thereby justifying they invented it first.[/citation]
Too late, I already came up with the idea of writing ideas down on a napkin. Time for a lawsuit!

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]chibiwings[/nom]this years samsung phones will be ignored next year and new version of Android and samsum Phone will come up.[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]That nice new S3 you just got will be forgotten about when the S4 comes out in Feb.[/citation]
[/citation]
How is this different from any other phone manufacturer and/or os development?
New stuff comes out, your stuff gets old, deal with it, it's called progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.