Samsung Announces Large-Scale Production Of GDDR6 Memory Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

t1gran

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
So we have Samsung's 72 GB/s (32-pin) VS SK Hynix's 768 GB/c (384-pin)? What's the point?

TadashiTG

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
The 72 GB/s is for a single memory chip. VRAM chips can be accessed in parallel so if you have four of them that's 72*4 = 288 GB/s with a 8GB VRAM card. Or 576 GB/s for a 16GB VRAM card.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
How far do you guys think GDDR6 will scale? When GDDR5 came out with the Radeon 4870's back in 2008, it ran at half the speed it does today. Do you suppose in 2022 we'll see GDDR6 with twice the bandwidth that's mentioned here?

Also, what are the odds that GDDR6 will be paired with next gen Volta GPUs or a Vega successor? Is GDDR6 better than HBM2 or 3? Which direction makes more sense for graphics card developers?

Edit:
Did I ask too many questions back there? What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

I think HBM2 is still a better fit for compute GPUs as just two packages of HBM have the same bandwidth as an entire 1080 gpu of GDDR6. Both coming in at 512GB/s.

As far as lifetime scaling I feel like the GDDR5 era was longer than previous versions. We should probably expect the GDDR6 era to be equally as long with steady speed improvements throughout. Unless HBM prices drop substantially. Then GDDR6 could fall out of favor. In which case by 2022 GDDR6 could be top out at 18-20GB/s because development basically stops in favor of pushing HBM faster and to higher densities.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It will be interesting. A lot of the fabs are getting close to where there will have to be a radical shift in technology before going forward. GDDR5 went through a lot of process node shrinks to keep improving.

And you have the better design that HBM gets you in addition to the much smaller footprint. With the MXM standard supposedly dying, I suspect HBM for mobile graphics is going to become the standard there.

Status
Not open for further replies.