Samsung Announces Milestone in Development of 14nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

game junky

Distinguished
It never ceases to amaze me how technology continues to advance at such a rapid pace. Quad Core mobile processors, now the possibility of 14nm chips. Keep trucking Samsung, I still want to see faster SSDs that are under the $/GB mark.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Talk about a true innovator.Not just some trendy Wanna Be.[/citation]

Intel kept some technology advantage in fabrication process and neither TSMC, GF (AMD...) could compete...
It is good to know that Samsung can keep competition in this nm node race...

steve360

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
[citation][nom]flowingbass[/nom]Did they beat intel to 14nm?[/citation]

Intel is already building the fabs for 14nm - Fab 42 in Arizona. It should be operational some time next year.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]flowingbass[/nom]Did they beat intel to 14nm?[/citation]

Intel is already looking beyond 14nm, their 14nm was off the drawing boards and tested in 2011. Their now going into production in 2013.

Even if Samsung bought AMD, it's my understanding that they wouldn't get the x86 license. But wouldn't it be completely kick@$$ if AMD inked a deal with Samsung to use their 14nm process to make CPUs? It's a beautiful dream... :p

hannibal

Distinguished
That would be nice! Ofcource Intel would have had 14nm technology in production at least one year untill Samsung can get first prototypes out, but still it would be better than situation at this moment...
So have to keep my fingers grossed on this!

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hmm... Intel and Samsung will be the first for mass production in 14nm.... Intel and Samsung is currently making an OS to compete against Android and iOS called Tizen.... Tizen is due to be released on certain smartphones and tablets in 2013....

Intel and Samsung trying to take over the mobile world.

G

It looks like ARM is probably going to beat Intel on 14nm, and make it there at the same time or sooner:

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/david-manners-semiconductor-blog/2012/10/intel-has-no-process-advantage.html

Some choice quotes:

The important thing is that the foundries' process roadmap is on track to intersect Intel's at 14nm.
In fact, GF's 14nm process may have smaller features than Intel's 14nm
Jean-Marc Chery, CTO of STMicroelectronics points out that the drawn gate length on Intel's ˜22nm" process is actually 26nm.

and the fitting conclusion of the article:

And so on goes Intel beating its head against the wall to get into the low-margin mobile business.
Recently Intel said it expected its Q4 gross margin to drop 6% from Q3's 63% to 57%. Shock, horror said the analysts
But if Intel succeeds in the mobile business, its gross margin will drop a lot more than that.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
They've just taped out the process, they won't reach the manufacturing stage till almost 2015-2016. Intel's going into production with the 14nm process in 2014. So no they've not beaten Intel at anything for now, and i suspect that by the time Samsung's 14nm process actually reaches the market, Intel will already be in a dominating position in the mobile market. Heck 2015 will be a new architecture, then the 10nm shrink in 2016, for Intel.

Interesting and exciting, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.