Samsung Announces mSATA SSDs for Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

chess

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'm glad other companies beside Intel are coming out with mSata SSDs. We can only hope a little competition drives down the pricing!

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Samsung may be planning to only sell the PM830 drives to OEM partners, so don't expect to see these in Best Buy.

Really? The only competitors in this sector currently are Intel (too slow, too costly), OCZ (what more can I say?), and the various other players in small quantities.

We need more options in this sector of SSDs.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]capports[/nom]Doesn't look like anything special to me![/citation]
Spammer? Refer to steam give-away article, saw something like this there too...

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]I hope notebook makers will label their slots because that thing looks a lot like mini PCIe[/citation]

That's because they can be use on a PCIe slot.

SSDAmen

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
You cannot use an mSATA drive in any old PCI-e slot it would have to be hard wired for a SATA bus and nealy 0 motherboards PCI-e slots are like that.

I have an x220 and an Asus Tablet and it is a completely different slot that the mSATA goes into.

I am currently using the MyDigitalSSD mSATA with both machines bought the OCZ Drive did not notice any diff between the 2 so I sold it on eBay. It is hard to tell the diff when you are talking 20 times vs. 30 times faster than a hard drive.

Here is a good review on that part.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/solid-state-drives-ssds-flash-storage/599675-mydigitalssd-bullet-proof-128gb-msata-review.html

Status
Not open for further replies.