Samsung Announces Retina Tablet Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]And all the tablet GPUs just had a heart attackNext up: AMD announces Radeon 6970 for tablets![/citation]

Agreed!

We've gone from run of the mill resolutions to extreme in one generation.

I kind of figured they would have made a stop at 1920x1080 before going to something as high as that... I can't even imagine running anything graphically intensive on a resolution like that.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]And all the tablet GPUs just had a heart attackNext up: AMD announces Radeon 6970 for tablets![/citation]
Lol too true, do you REALLY need super-hi res graphics for an 10.1 inch screen?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
No, Samsung announced a tablet with a high-definition screen - one with a higher resolution than Apple's "Retina" display (a term for which Apple has filed a trademark application). It's a stupid name, anyway - all the more reason to avoid using it inappropriately.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jgalecio[/nom]Wont they get sued by apple for using the term 'retina' display? Just saying...[/citation]

Samsung didn't - Douglas Perry tacked "Retina" onto it.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
First people want retina displays, now there is complaints about it not having enough graphics power. I for one WANT said retina display. And personally I think it will push companies like AMD and Nvidia to push their mobile graphics solution to new possibilities.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
ok now im pissed. we dont even have that kinda tech on tv's and BARELY on monitors! DONT TELL ME THAT TABLET TECHNOLOGY IS AHEAD OF THE CURVE, OR I WILL STAB SOMEONE

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]ok now im pissed. we dont even have that kinda tech on tv's and BARELY on monitors! DONT TELL ME THAT TABLET TECHNOLOGY IS AHEAD OF THE CURVE, OR I WILL STAB SOMEONE[/citation]
lol

G

does that mean your movies will look crap as the power Vr graphics GPu struggles to upscale and puts artifacts everywhere?

bpeglow

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
They keep upping the resolution on smartphones and tablet PCs. Meanwhile the HDTV/monitor market has been stuck at 1920x1080 for years.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Agreed, why can I not get this kind of resolution on a TV or Monitor without offering large parts of my body and soul as collateral?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bpeglow[/nom]They keep upping the resolution on smartphones and tablet PCs. Meanwhile the HDTV/monitor market has been stuck at 1920x1080 for years.[/citation]

i got a 1920x1200 monitor, next step up was over 1000$ more than this monitor so i didnt take it.
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]Lol too true, do you REALLY need super-hi res graphics for an 10.1 inch screen?[/citation]

the higher the resolution the better 2d applications are on it. im thinking things like websites, along with books.

or even, if a company partnered with wacom, an advanced tablet made for drawing.

a high resolution screen is nice. and the more these are made in bulk, the cheaper they get.

heres hopeing that in a few years bulk 2560x1600 will come to the pc, and not be a special item that requires 1500$ to get anything of value.

and also

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]ok now im pissed. we dont even have that kinda tech on tv's and BARELY on monitors! DONT TELL ME THAT TABLET TECHNOLOGY IS AHEAD OF THE CURVE, OR I WILL STAB SOMEONE[/citation]

tv shows arent brodcast in anything above 1080p if i remember correctly, and the only thing that would be higher res than now would be a sporting event.

and if you want a 4k theater, you go projector, not monitor.
and hd wont get a bump for another 5-10 years, when there is a massive increase in picture quality, not incremental like this is.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Why is it that tablets are getting these high resolution display's yet I can hardly find laptops or even desktop monitors with high resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY