Samsung Announces World's First 128 GB Next-Generation UFS Mobile Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhanschu

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
This is a standard focused mainly for mobile devices. eMMC is also used in hobby computers like the raspberry pi. It's a solid state format, but not anything you'd see in desktops. I've seen it in a few lower end laptops, mainly chromebooks and the like.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lucian, thanks for the table with all the eMMC versions & details and microSD (but does that correspond to SDXC?). I really appreciate the context.

Also, as I understand it, eMMC is simply an electrical interface, meaning there's no standard connector or form factor (in contrast to microSD, for instance). Is the same true of UFS?

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Now you can record cat pictures and videos even faster than before! Progress!! Seriously though. This is amazing. Look how far technology has advanced in the last decade.

Lucian, thanks for the table with all the eMMC versions & details and microSD (but does that correspond to SDXC?). I really appreciate the context.
MicroSD is a form factor for SD cards. SDXC is an SD card format, which mainly determines the possible storage space. SDXC is the newest format, allowing capacities up to 2TB.

Speed classes are somewhat independent of the format, so you can still get extremely fast SD cards in the lower-capacity SDHC format. The highest speed class cards (UHS-II U3) are only available in the largest form factor, for smaller MicroSD cards the fastest speed class currently available is UHS-I U3, and they top out around 80-100 MB/s read, ~50 MB/s write. The theoretical cap on UHS-I is 104 MB/s, so for faster cards they'll need to move to UHS-II U3, which allows up to 312 MB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.