Samsung Begins Mass Production Of Next-Generation 14nm LPP Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
But we don't know if they use "old" 14lpp or this new 14lpp+.
I suppose that big part of Samsung production capacity goes to Samsung own mobile chips, Apple and snapdragon 820... It will not leave much to other products.
But good that they are getting a little bit nearer the Intel!

Samsung has 14nm LPE (Low Power Early) and now 14nm LPP (Low Power Plus) Also GF has licensed Samsungs 14nm tech so they will be the ones actually making AMD's gpu's and cpu's so Samsungs capacity issues should not effect AMD. My guess is GF should be close mass production as well because they are using the same tech and doing an almost Intel like copy exact process to allow companies to go back and forth from Samsung to GF without issues.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Samsung has 14nm LPE (Low Power Early) and now 14nm LPP (Low Power Plus) Also GF has licensed Samsungs 14nm tech so they will be the ones actually making AMD's gpu's and cpu's
Right they could realistically source from Samsung too if GF had issues.

Anyway, if AMD is using 14 LPP for their GPUs and CPUs, who is using TSMC's 16nm node? Just ARM designs, or Nvidia too?

From the rumors I hear AMD is going to have some GPUs coming from GF and some from TSMC 16nm FF+ (second gen of TSMC 16nm). I don't think they will be the same exact GPU's (like apple and the A9 SOC dual sourced from both), I am thinking lower power GPU's on 14nm LPP and the high end GPU's on 16nm FF+ . but could be totally wrong. Nvidia is using TSMC's 16nm FF+ for their next gen GPU's. I am sure TSMC has tons of other customers using 16nm tech. Apple is using TSMC 16nm FF for half of the A9 SOC's.

But we don't know if they use "old" 14lpp or this new 14lpp+.
I suppose that big part of Samsung production capacity goes to Samsung own mobile chips, Apple and snapdragon 820... It will not leave much to other products.
But good that they are getting a little bit nearer the Intel!

We already know both GF and Samsung will be making AMD's Zen processors and next generation GPU's in 14 nm LPP process .
The polaris graphics chips are already running, and so are early examples of Zen .

Status
Not open for further replies.