Samsung Begins Producing 14nm Chips That Could Power The Apple Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

I outright disbelieve AMD will have any 14 nm products out in 2015 and am skeptical of seeing any 2016 14 nm parts. They're most likely going to be on 20 nm in 2015 and will stay on that node until sometime 2017.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Actually a search shows that AMD is in qualification for 14LPE and should be making chips in Feb-Mar and qual for 14LPP will happen by Q2.

It seems obvious that they are building Zen and K12 with 14nm.. SkyBridge is 20nm..

It's possible that they can maintain the cadence of a new APU every year depending on how far they are with them... I believe Zen\K12 are pin-compatible like SkyBridge...

The question is if GloFo will be making GPUs...

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I can believe that AMD will have a 14nm product for one reason: console makers with huge cash coffers (Microsoft and Sony). It's in the console makers' best interest for AMD to be able to use a 14nm-16nm process. Hard to say if it will be the reality, but that would be a huge reason

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
If Apple quit pi$$ing Samsung off with lawsuits just maybe Samsung will supply it. Right now they don't have to as they are holding the cards.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
If Apple quit pi$$ing Samsung off with lawsuits just maybe Samsung will supply it. Right now they don't have to as they are holding the cards.

You do realize that Samsung Semi and Samsung Mobile are two different divisions, right?

More like Samsung Semi is pissed that Samsung Mobile keeps copying Apple and jeopardizing their lucrative multi-billion dollar contract to supply Apple with components. Samsung Semi LOVES Apple and the billions they spend. It's Samsung Mobile and Apple that have issues.

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Yes Samsung steals apples ideas for rectangular devices with rounded corners and swiping on a touchscreen to interact with it
High tech stuff the deserves patents

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
It doesn't matter what will power the Apple Watch. This product is a total failure already and hasn't even been released yet. NO ONE I have talked to wants this ugly monstrosity of a gadget. There are so many other superior and much slimmer and sleek electronic watch designs already on the market. Apple has already missed the customer boat on making any kind of profit on their watch product. Just wait and see how many open box discounts will be available for the Apple Watch Fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.