Samsung Builds A Potentially Affordable Curved Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I guess that curved (computer) monitor makes more sense than the "banana" television.
It's amazing LG created a full page PDF outlining benefits of the curved design of televisions. I can see very few and would otherwise opt for a flat (OLED) one!

Interesting. I'm not a super fan of the curved thing going on right now, but it's hard to determine whether it'll be a fad or a long lasting idea.

Any word on the expected price at this point? Are we to assume the refresh rate is 60hz? IPS or TN?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
actually i have my sights set on a curved 21:9 monitor. gotta wait for one with displayport 1.3 to get freesync goodness and 120hz at 1440p goodness

curved monitors make more sense because its usually one user per monitor. tvs, not so much.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
It’s a fad, as in its kind of cool to make a curved display but it actually makes the viewing experience worse. Just go check one out. More glare, harder for folks on the side to see a good picture, more expensive to manufacture and the picture is squished in the middle. If you have a very large display that can wrap around you and the camera is shooting a 180° field of view, then maybe. But no video you watch will be shot that way and these curved screens are not big enough or curved enough for that type of setup to work anyway. These curved screens are just distorting the original isometric image.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
It's not a bad idea, but I'm sorry the resolution sucks. I can't speak for others, but I'm not buying another 1080p display curved or otherwise. If Samsung made a display like this at 1920x2160 or 1920x3240 resolution I think they'd have no trouble finding interested people to sell monitors of that type both curved or flat for that matter. It's important that the price is still pretty affordable and no more twice or triple the price of 1080p.

dovah-chan

Honorable
there are a great deal of monitors that have a lower contrast ratio than 1:3000. The huge number you usually see represents a labratory setting with the optimal lighting. This is the average real world contrast ratio that the user is likely to experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.