Samsung Buying Novaled to Meet OLED Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocilfa

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
@IndignantSkeptic: Maybe read the article? "Launched in 2001, Novaled AG specializes in high efficiency, long-lifetime OLED structures". The whole reason we have pentile is because the blue sub-pixel has a dramatically shorter life than the red and green. If they specialize in long-lifetime oled's, then we should expect to see more full RGB amoleds in the future.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Pentile is still in infancy and is being further developed. Like how they went from rectangle matrix in S3 to diamond grid in S4 to produce better colors. But, yeah I still prefer higher end IPS LCD panels. Hopefully, Samsung keeps pushing the R&D to further mature their AMOLED, or just drop pentile all together like they did with S2 and Note 2.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
What the hell?! I don't want Pentile further developed; I want it banned and the creator of it fired. Each pixel has only 2 sub pixels instead of 3. Half of the pixels are missing their red sub-pixel and the other half are missing their blue sub-pixel. I don't know how they think that looks acceptable. It makes me wonder what else they are trying to cheat us out of.

vestibule

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Good, I'm more excited about OLED than I am about 4k LCD's. Of course, realistically most of us will have to choose one or the other as they become affordable, or wait longer for 4k OLED to become affordable. I'd be okay with a 1440p OLED when they are affordable, but hopefully 1600p wouldn't cost much more by then.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

There are 30 million odd Galaxy S4 owners that disagree with your definition of acceptable.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

So you're saying you can see the sub-pixels on a pentile display? Or are you just complaining because you don't agree with the technology.

Put the S4 next to an iPhone 5 and you'll be hard-pressed to find any faults with Samsung's pentile display. At the high resolutions the new displays are out with now (1080 on the S4) the "inferior pentile" argument has gotten old and has no merit anymore.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Well, I haven't looked at the S4 but I did compare the S3 to iPhone 4 and the S3 looks absolutely hideous. I can see the grainy checker-board effect. Whoever finds a Pentile screen acceptable is the type of person that can handle looking at extreme ugliness, which may be a useful trait to have actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.