Question Samsung C32HG70: flickering and microstuttering with Freesync ON (RTX 2060)

Feb 24, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm Wolver_321 and I'm writing from Italy! I asked the exact same question on the Italian Tom's Hardware but I didn't receive any help, so now I'm trying my luck on the UK site. In short words...
I've a Samsung C32HG70 that supports Freesync2 (range 48Hz-144Hz + LFC) and, since NVidia now supports this technology on their latest cards, of course I'd like to use it properly with my new RTX 2060. But there are 2 big problems which are called "flickering" and "microstuttering". In theory, when FPS go below 48, the monitor should work at double Hz of FPS generated (example: 37 FPS--->74Hz, 51 FPS--->51Hz), but I think there's something that doesn't work properly. When LFC kicks in, I always experience flickering and the overall image seems to be a bit laggy... But this happens also when FPS are on the low 60s (LFC shouldn't work in this case), flickering and FPS dips all over the place! In game menus (which run at 60 FPS), for example, FPS go down to 10, then back to 60, then back to 10, then back to 60 and so on... And in the middle of this "FPS rollercoaster" I experience flickering too, which seems to occur just below 60 FPS.
Basically, at the moment, I have to keep every single game above 70 FPS for not having issues! I've already tried to use CRU but I didn't notice any difference. I read that there are Visa certified DisplayPort cables out there which might solve the problem... At the moment I'm using the cable that was included in the monitor, it'd be quite a shame if there's a low quality cable shipped with a 500€ display (more or less 450£).
How could I solve this issue? From what I heard this monitor, even if it's not NVidia certified, works very well with G-Sync. Thanks in advance :)

Feb 24, 2019
Have you updated the monitor's firmware?
https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/LC32HG70QQNXZA/#downloads

I have the C27HG70.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, my monitor has the latest firmware installed (1019.2, 1020 is just for the 27 inches variant). Someone on the Italian forum who has your exact same model replied me by doing some tests with the original DisplayPort cable that was shipped with the monitor... Using the Ultimate engine he noticed the exact same issues, while with Standard engine everything seemed ok. Then he tried to use a DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 cable and the flickering was completely gone even on Ultimate engine. From what I heard the 27 and the 32 inches variants have some differences, the 27" seems to be Flicker-free while the 32" isn't, is it actually a huge con? At this point I'd try to buy a certified 1.4 cable, it costs just around 15€ and with Amazon I could also ship it back and be completely refunded if it doesn't solve the problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS