Samsung C49HG90 Review: No More Dual-Monitor Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhughey

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
1080p? Hard pass on this. It needs at least 1440 and 1600 would be better. I know that diminishes the market for this, but people willing to pay $1000 for a monitor are going to be have a strong video card. Nvidia is about to drop a new generation of cards also, so the entry to 3840*1600 is about to move down to GT2070 series.

Fait

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
When someone comes out with one that is 4k HDR10+ G-sync and 144 or 240Hz, then I will get excited. The specs here just aren't that impressive.

I saw one of these in the wild recently. It was, in a word, impressive. That said, the 1080p resolution is likely a no go for many despite the high refresh rate and excellent quality VA panel. The curve doesn't appeal to everyone but having a smooth rather than flat view in terms of peripheral vision is pretty much a requirement for something of this size. If I had the desk space for it, I would definitely be in the market... much to my wife's dismay.

Yeah I immediately lost interest when I read it was 1080 on the vertical resolution. I can't stand that pinched look and lacking in vertical resolution with a super wide screen even at 21:9 aspect ratio, let alone this one at 32:9. To me it's like looking at a monitor with eyes half closed. I remember losing my 16:10 ratio 25.5" Samsung 1920x1200 monitor and upgrading to a 16:9 27"1440p monitor. It took a while to get used to the loss of vertical height even though it was a resolution upgrade.

But it's nice to see a true 10-bit panel of this size in a sub-$1,000 (USD) price range, so kudos for Samsung on that. Just give me more vertical resolution on these extreme ulrawides and I'm sold.

That's what kills me about women. We men have to fight for a little master bedroom closet space for our few clothes and shoes while they pack it wall to wall with their ever growing clothes and shoe collection from weekend shopping trips. Then we are lambasted for wanting our tech toys which are only purchased once every several years.

To be honest, she's really not that bad. She doesn't like that gaming is a hobby of mine and feels it to be a wasteful time sink, but she is fine with me doing my thing when I feel like doing it. Beyond that, I just have some exceedingly expensive hobbies: firearms, computing, high end A/V, and cars. :/

While I could probably make it work (or any other for that matter), I hold off due to her sacrificing for the greater good and spending money on our house and such rather than expensive individual things with limited purpose. It's fine... though I won't lie that I *am* in the market for a new display as my 1920*1200 60Hz Samsung is long in the tooth and holding back my beastly 1080.

bolkar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Such a waster opportunity. 1080p vertical? really? This beast have half the pixels of my 27 inch 4K monitor, even though this is 49inch. Double the pixels on both directions then we have something to talk about...

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Everyone complaining about resolution, but make it 1440p vertical, and even if you don't lose that 144Hz refresh, it could cost up to 50% more. Samsung should release another one with higher resolution, but keep this one like it is.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
They need to also start concentrating on a bit more vertical space on monitors. This could be the ultimate monitor if they just made it taller. Immersion also needs vertical space and any proper work also needs it.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
At that physical size they really should have gone with 1440p or made it smaller, like two 24" displays. As a casual gamer, I like the idea though. And the super wide desktop has many uses for others, too. I rarely only have one program running when I'm on my PC and if you only need the 1920x1080 space you can always switch to that resolution to get a single centred display size, which is another thing you really can't do with a dual display setup.

Mopar63

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Do not judge based on resolution until you have sat down and used the monitor. For gaming the lower pixel density is a none issue due to the distance you need to sit from this monitor for comfortable viewing. Is an amazing gaming experience with games that support the aspect ratio properly.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007

Exactly how i feel. Here'es to hoping someone out there is working to get those monitors to us ASAP!
Though i'd like to add i would like mine to be curved as well. Its a niche market i know, but hey i'd like that as well.

Giroro

Splendid
This would be pretty nice if it had a manageable aspect-ratio, more vertical space, no curve, and QHD resolution. And, considering the price, OLED instead of a backlit LCD.

Also, Windows needs a pretty significant update to window management because the user experience on ultra-wide monitors is horrid right now when it comes to productivity and even web browsing.

Alpha Gametauri

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

But problem is it might be a Black Hole when it comes to money, a 240Hz 4k HDR10+ Gsync might be WELL into the thousands, wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Aug 23, 2018
Why are people giving suggestions for products that already exist "Dear Samsung make *this product that I can easily find with a 2 second google search*, if you want a 4k monitor that's smaller, just get that" I get the complaints about the resolution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.