Samsung CCTV cannot connect to router

May 21, 2017
I have a Samsung SDR-5102 camera security system.. The basic system works fine. I am failing at connecting it to my TrendNet AC-1750 router through a hardwire (not wireless). I have followed the Samsung manual and configured it as DHCP, TCP, Device Port 4520, and HTTP Port 80. I then need to login to www.samsungipolis.com/(my ID) to view my cameras on the internet but it takes me to the TrendNet Router screen. So I assumed that Port 80 was busy. If I change the HTTP Port to something else (82, 84, 88, 8800) it says it cannot connect when I try to sign in. Advise is definitely needed. Thanks.

Solution
You have a few layers of roadblocks here, let me try to explain what is going on without too long of a post.

You have a public IP address, this is the IP address given to you by your ISP. On most residential grade internet plans this address changes every few weeks depending on ISP. To circumvent this you need what is called a DDNS, which i believe is what that samsung url is providing. The DDNS provider links your URL to your public IP address and uses software on your PC or router to be alerted when this IP address changes.

You then have device IP addresses provided by the router (or manually set by you which is called a static IP). Every computer and device (including the DVR) has a local IP address. Your DVR also has a port...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You would need to configure the DVR for a static IP address (or reserve the IP address on the router), then port forward the correct port on the TrendNet router to that specific IP address.

You should make distinction between visiting Samsung monitor web page from inside of the network (you should rather access DVR by IP address directly), and from outside of your network (where you have to port-forward at the router, as per Samsung requirements).

You might have to check with support staff hosting that monitoring web site for correct port forwarding information.

You have a few layers of roadblocks here, let me try to explain what is going on without too long of a post.

You have a public IP address, this is the IP address given to you by your ISP. On most residential grade internet plans this address changes every few weeks depending on ISP. To circumvent this you need what is called a DDNS, which i believe is what that samsung url is providing. The DDNS provider links your URL to your public IP address and uses software on your PC or router to be alerted when this IP address changes.

You then have device IP addresses provided by the router (or manually set by you which is called a static IP). Every computer and device (including the DVR) has a local IP address. Your DVR also has a port that it is watching communication for (that is your device port and http port.

Your router is the very important first gatekeeper between your home and the internet and if some outside person/computer requests access and the router has no record of you asking for them to access you, then the router denys it. So in short all unsolicited/unrequested traffic is blocked, and to your router you trying to access your DVR from the internet is unsolicited. Thus you have to do what is called port forwarding to direct traffic on a specific port to a specific computer/device.

One other roadblock you may be facing is that ISPs often block port 80 (the common http website port) for both security and because they want you to pay extra for a business plan.

So here is what you need to do:
1) You really want a Static IP for this type of setup.
From a computer, open a command prompt type and type "ipconfig" . This will give you your computer ip address and the "gateway address" will be your router's.
Now input the gateway address into a web browser and access your router's configuration page (will need router username and password, if you have never logged in before it is likley default for that device which you can google)
Now go to your lan settings and find DHCP Reservation list. If this starts at x.x.x.2 and goes all the way up to .254 then have it start at say .100, save and reboot the router.
Now go to your DVR setup and configure it to have a static IP address. The first three sets of numbers need to be the same as your gateway address, and the last set needs to NOT be in the DHCP reservation list. Your subnet should be 255.255.255.0 and gateway should be set to your router's IP.

Now reboot DVR, go to computer and type in DVR's IP address into web browser, if this works then you should get the DVR webpage.

2) Now setup port forwarding
Go back into router configuration page, and find port forwarding.
Create a new rule to forward the IP of your DVR with a local port of 80 and and external port of anything you want over 8000 (so you could do say 8101)
Save the rule.
Now from web browser go to a port checker site like canyouseeme.org, input in the port you used above and make sure it is open.

From a phone or other device that has mobile data and not on your network you should now be able to type in your public IP (top box from port checker website) and the port and access the dvr webpage. If ip is 1.2.3.4 and port is 8888 then you would type "1.2.3.4:8888" into the web browser.

Solution