Samsung Confirms 5.5-inch Flexible Smartphone Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Do this with the coming Galaxy Note 3, imagine a 6.3 inch screen you can fold in half.

lebois kid

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Gummi Phones! To me, unbreakable is more important that bendable. It's are to imagine the applications for this until someone makes them. Maybe a flexible phone that is more comfortable in the pocket?

[citation][nom]pgooch[/nom]Would of liked it to be better than the retina display =/[/citation]
Which "retina" display are you talking about? The 300PPI, the 227PPI, or something in between? According to the 'inventor' of "retina" term, any of these can be called "retina" if it suits the manufacturer.

It's only a meaningless marketing term, no reason to obsess about it. There are plenty of displays available on phones that have a higher PPI than a "retina" one, yet manufacturers don't use that term. Maybe it's a trademark thing, IDK, or maybe they just don't give a damn about meaningless terms.
Once you need a magnifying glass to be able to discern any separate pixels, you're in "retina" territory. This particular display meets the requirements. However, it will be better, because you will not break it if you drop the phone.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Abion47[/nom]Flexible... smartphone screens? Unless the phones themselves will be flexible, I don't really see the point.[/citation]Why not if ur smart phone turn into a scroll?

When they can roll up we might see Earth Final Conflict styled roll-up phones. And if it were translucent it would be great for augmented reality apps. . .

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]anhxeom[/nom]"its demo screens curve without RENDING, they don't have the ability to roll up yet."What function is that??[/citation]
It means the screen won't tear when when its bent.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Wow Spam ! Bye, were not interested. And your spelling is bad allybee1.
Anyway I think a flexible screen is a good idea as it will reduce the weight of a phone, and make them a bit slimmer or allow them to put more features into them.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I guess that's pretty cool, but I'm not sure about the application. Does anyone really want/need bendy smartphone screens? Isn't at the end of the day flat best?[/citation]

For smartphone the use I can see is making a flip phone with 1 continuous screen if it bends that much.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]anhxeom[/nom]"its demo screens curve without RENDING, they don't have the ability to roll up yet."What function is that??[/citation]

RENDing not RENDERing.

the3dsgeek

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Do this with the coming Galaxy Note 3, imagine a 6.3 inch screen you can fold in half.[/citation]
They would need a folding PCB to go with that, and i don't think its possible yet

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Ok so the screen can bend...the rest of the device can't and who cares if it can bend..lol[/citation]
That is how technology growth works. You expand on one category which opens gates to expand in a different category. For example, Savery wanted to remove water out of coal mines without having to manually grab buckets of water and carry it up and out. So he invented a way to turn water into steam and use the pressure to remove water. That turned into a steam engine, which turned into steam engine cars, which turned to oil engine cars, which is how we have modern day cars.

Now decades from now, some guy will explain how Smith discovered photocunductivity which led to moving images, then television, then plasma displays, then LED screens, then Samsung's flexible displays, which led to a cure for cancer. (joke for the last part)

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Do this with the coming Galaxy Note 3, imagine a 6.3 inch screen you can fold in half.[/citation]

Expect it for mass production in 2014 followed by Apple lawsuits in 2015

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Those screens are not meant to be bent over and over again. They would break after a short while. The idea is to make a virtually unbreakable screen. If you used a hammer to break your phone, the screen would be the last thing to break.

To make a flexible phone you would need flexible memory, chips, batteries, etc ... Not gonna happen just yet.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
There are more than one way to skin a cat, I think the future will show applications for this. Innovation is needed, someone in the world will think of something cool to do with this. It might be you!

I didnt read everyone's comments so i hope this isnt a repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.