News Samsung Confirms 990 Pro SSD Firmware Fix Coming Soon

Feb 6, 2023
I have two of these Samsung drives in two different ps5's? How do you update the firmware when it's installed in a ps5?

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
This appears to be a reporting error of the usage not an actual loss of SSD life.

Except that it IS a loss of SSD life. As per the article on the 980s, the drive goes into read-only mode and Windows will no longer boot. Also, once the drive is in read-only mode, it is effectively useless except, of course, to hopefully read your old data off. The problem is that the drive believes its own erroneous reporting.

Reactions: KyaraM and bit_user

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
When news websites started to report this problem with 990 SSDs, few weeks ago, they were also reporting Samsung saying that there is nothing wrong with those drives. No Samsung is admitting (although only through a moderator) that there is fact is an issue with these drives. Can one trust Samsung?

RussK1

Splendid
This appears to be a reporting error of the usage not an actual loss of SSD life.

Not necessarily. I had the 970evo with 99% drive health and walla, read only mode.

I sent the drive to Samsung, they tested it and ultimately sent me a 2tb 970evo plus.

My theory, is that it isn't the nand, rather the controllers failing.

I currently run the 2tb 980 pro and 970evo +. Both with current firmware and running fine... although the 980pro is a little underwhelming on the speed.

Last edited: