[SOLVED] Samsung data migration doesn't show 980 Pro as a target drive

Nov 27, 2021
I recently built a desktop to replace my laptop PC I fried. It was my first build and I'm pleased to say I was able to get both storage drives from the laptop to work and it fired up my old OS like nothing happened! Here's where my problem lies, however:
I have obviously upgraded to larger storage (980 pro nvme 1 tb) and wanted to clone my OS to the new drive. Then, turn the current boot drive(hynix m.2 sata 256gb ssd) into a game library. I downloaded Samsung data migration after reading some threads here, however, it only sees the 256gb SSD as a source drive and does not offer the 980 Pro as a target drive. I can see it in Samsung magician and file explorer and have formatted it to prepare for os installation. Not sure why it won't come up as a target drive in data migration. Both drives are mounted to the mobo via onboard m.2 slots. Help?

Solution
I'm fairly certain the BIOS is up to date (version 2.21.1278)
Unfortunately Samsung Data Migration easily lists the sata ssd as a source drive but will not list the drive it is supposed to(Samsung 980pro) as a target drive.. should I use a different tool?
Try Macrium Reflect.
That is my go to tool for cloning.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe...
Nov 27, 2021
Strix z590 mobo
I5 11600k processor
32gb Corsair vengeance ram
Tuf 3060ti GPU
Hynix 256gb SSD sata m.2 running windows 10
Samsung 980 pro 1tb empty.
Bios sees the drive and it passes self test

Nov 27, 2021
Update motherboard BIOS
Install Samsung driver

Going from SATA to NVMe can be tricky.
The driver for this nvme is microsoft
Unfortunately Samsung Data Migration easily lists the sata ssd as a source drive but will not list the drive it is supposed to(Samsung 980pro) as a target drive.. should I use a different tool?

USAFRet

Titan
Try Macrium Reflect.

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
Are you sure your M.2 doesn't share sata port connections on that motherboard? It may be a long shot but I had a similar issue not to long ago and resolved it by putting the drive in a different port. Is the drive detected in windows?

Nov 27, 2021
Try Macrium Reflect.

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Is there a way for me to insert an image into my question? I believe I have the transfer lined up in Macrium

Nov 27, 2021
Are you sure your M.2 doesn't share sata port connections on that motherboard? It may be a long shot but I had a similar issue not to long ago and resolved it by putting the drive in a different port. Is the drive detected in windows?
Yeah, I can see both drives in file explorer. I believe I have the clone set up in Macrium, just trying to confirm

Nov 27, 2021

USAFRet

Titan
if installing the OS to a 980 Pro, that takes about 3 minutes these days? :)
Right.
Given all the previous weirdness, I'd just start over with this system.

But again, only ONE drive connected during the OS install.

Nov 27, 2021
Right.
Given all the previous weirdness, I'd just start over with this system.

But again, only ONE drive connected during the OS install.
Booted without a hitch twice now. I removed the SSD and sshd. Going to plug them back in and go for boot number 3. If all is well, I'll wipe the 256gb for a library drive. Can't wait to play on the 980! Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS