[SOLVED] Samsung Data Migration Larger HDD to Smaller SSD

Jan 30, 2020
I have a 2TB HDD that I'm looking to clone over to a 250GB SSD. I've uninstalled a bunch of apps and have the drive down to about 440GB now. I mainly want the SSD for booting and the primary games I play. I'm confused about the exclude function of the Samsung Data Migration Tool. It appears that excluding my pictures/videos will wipe them when I clone over to the SSD, but the manual seems to suggest excluding them without deleting them is an option.

STEP 12. To clone everything except the selected file(s), go to Step 13.
To delete the selected file(s) and clone everything else, go to Step 14.
To save the selected file(s) to another storage device and continue cloning, go to Step 15.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...SD_Data_Migration_User_Manual_(ENG)_v.3.1.pdf

Even in the screenshot in step 13 it shows a warning, "The media files in the selected source disk will be deleted during the cloning process. Please back them up on a separate storage medium."

If there's an option to delete the selected files and clone everything else and the "clone everything except the selected files" is going to delete them anyway, why even offer both options? Am I misunderstanding this? My external hard drive is at a friend's house, so I'd prefer not to wait to get that back in order to do the cloning.

Thanks

Solution
For a clone operation, the actual consumed space MUST be below the size of the target drive.
Significantly below.

For a 250GB target Samsung drive, it MUST be below 200GB.
Samsung Data Migration lets you leave off certain static files like Video/Music/Pics...but thats it. Those will (probably) remain on the old drive.
Everything else goes.
And leaving them off can have its own implications.

You cannot clone ONLY the OS, or "OS and certain applications"

Again...to go into a 250GB drive, your target number is 200GB total.

USAFRet

Titan
For a clone operation, the actual consumed space MUST be below the size of the target drive.
Significantly below.

For a 250GB target Samsung drive, it MUST be below 200GB.
Samsung Data Migration lets you leave off certain static files like Video/Music/Pics...but thats it. Those will (probably) remain on the old drive.
Everything else goes.
And leaving them off can have its own implications.

You cannot clone ONLY the OS, or "OS and certain applications"

Again...to go into a 250GB drive, your target number is 200GB total.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS