Samsung Data Migration Tool reporting that it needs additional space, but the drive sizes are the same

LordValgor

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I just got a 970 EVO and I'm trying to migrate the data from my old Samsung SSD to the 970 using the Samsung Data Migration software. The migration tool shows the two drives as the same size, but states that it needs an additional 29 GB of space on the target disk in order to copy. I tried looking through the system requirements, but didn't see any notes stating that extra cache space was needed (or any other weird reqs). I've used this software before, and didn't recall any issues like this.

Any ideas?

tCQ4HJw.png

xYRBVpf.png

Solution

The source disk is FULL, there shouldn't be anywhere near that much data on the drive.

If it's over 3/4 Full then it's FULL.

You need to free up a lot of space.

If there is more than 350 GB of data on the drive then you need to free you space and or get another HD.

LordValgor

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

I'm not sure I follow. The source disk is the same size as the target disk. The source Files equal 416.3/465.2GB, which would be the exact same size on the target disk. The target disk is currently empty.

What exactly is the issue?

The source disk is FULL, there shouldn't be anywhere near that much data on the drive.

If it's over 3/4 Full then it's FULL.

You need to free up a lot of space.

If there is more than 350 GB of data on the drive then you need to free you space and or get another HD.

Solution