News Samsung Debuts Odyssey Neo G7 43-inch Mini LED 144Hz 4K Gaming Monitor

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
Hmm. It's a VA panel, so black smearing would likely be present. They also don't say how many lighting zones there are, which would lead me to believe it's likely not all that many. Likely around 500. If it were some high amount, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.

Jan 27, 2023
Hmm. It's a VA panel, so black smearing would likely be present. They also don't say how many lighting zones there are, which would lead me to believe it's likely not all that many. Likely around 500. If it were some high amount, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.

Black smearing can be a problem with VA monitors, but higher end panels have greatly eliminated this problem, older and cheaper VA panels for sure had lag time between grey, black and white transitions. Not saying these would not have it, I be surprised if it did, noticeably. And wait for reviews.

Also, I mean isn't the whole deal with mini leds is to act like OLED in that each point is its own dimming zone, while you may not have the millions that OLED does, it will still be in the thousands that mini tech is.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
Black smearing can be a problem with VA monitors, but higher end panels have greatly eliminated this problem, older and cheaper VA panels for sure had lag time between grey, black and white transitions. Not saying these would not have it, I be surprised if it did, noticeably. And wait for reviews.

Also, I mean isn't the whole deal with mini leds is to act like OLED in that each point is its own dimming zone, while you may not have the millions that OLED does, it will still be in the thousands that mini tech is.
There have been higher end new VA panels in the past few years with smearing issues as well. It varies of course, but it's not been totally eliminated, even in the high end.
Mini LEDs do "sort of" behave like OLED, but they're not on an individual pixel level like that. They use very small backlighting LEDs still. The Asus PG32UQX is a good example with 1152 lighting zones. However, the updated PG32UQXE that was shown at CES only has a bit over 500 lighting zones. I would think if this Samsung panel had a pretty high amount, they would advertise it as a selling point, but even on their own webpage for the monitor I can't seem to find that information. That's kind of a bad sign to me, because you would want the highest number possible.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Last generation, Samsung seemed to get really carried away with the amount of curvature. That's one of the things that put me off their 27". But this is flat @ 43"? They got it backwards.

BTW, the DPI of 4k @ 43" is about the same as 1440p @ 27". So, if you like the size of small fonts at that resolution but simply want more screen realestate, then 43" is the perfect size 4k monitor for you.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
Last generation, Samsung seemed to get really carried away with the amount of curvature. That's one of the things that put me off their 27". But this is flat @ 43"? They got it backwards.

BTW, the DPI of 4k @ 43" is about the same as 1440p @ 27". So, if you like the size of small fonts at that resolution but simply want more screen realestate, then 43" is the perfect size 4k monitor for you.

It's the exact same size as the PG42UQ and LG C2 42, and neither of those have a curvature either. It's not really necessary on a non-Ultrawide panel, especially a larger one such as this.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's the exact same size as the PG42UQ and LG C2 42, and neither of those have a curvature either. It's not really necessary on a non-Ultrawide panel, especially a larger one such as this.
Depends on how far you sit from it. I have a flat 32" 4k monitor and I can discern my eyes having to refocus as I sweep them from corner to center or vice versa. Since I'm not a gamer, it's not such a big deal. But, when gaming, it could be fatiguing and even affect reaction time.

Then again, if you sit like 5 feet away, it's a non-issue. But then you don't really need 4k, either. At that distance 1440p would be just as good. So, I don't really "get" this product.