Samsung Denied New Trial After Apple's $1 Billion Verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
So, to conclude this whole event, Apple gets 1B for silly patents, ban on some Samsung products, the ban then gets removed. Nothing changes. Except Apple gets 1 free billion USD.

That is some bullshit :mad:

G

I'd take on 1 Billion dollars for all the parts needed to make those piece of shit products.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
So, because Samsung did a lousy job of background checking before hand, it doesn't matter what was discovered later? It's like saying "It's your own fault for not checking the kitchen at the restaurant before eating there. Even though your whole family nearly died from Salmonella poisoning, the restaurant is not liable!" wtf?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
$$$ talks in the U.S. Justice system. ANy judge can be bought out...that's what they really should teach our children. Justice is just an idea that will never actually work.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Chances are that the jury foreman LIED on the pre-trial questionnaire. But then this judge (who's house and all his relatives houses are filled with crApple stuff) doesn't care.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Samsung just needs to do another component price increase, so by the end of 2013 Apple would've paid them back! This approach should be used across the board so that any future lawsuits against Samsung are actually funded by Apple in the long term!

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]So blame everyone except Samsung's incompetent lawyers....typical fanboy comments in here. So pathetic...[/citation]
If you ever get wrongfully convicted for a crime you never committed, and later on your lawyer finds evidence that the jury that found you guilty was biased against you from the start, you would just blame your lawyer and bend over? Please say so, and let us know if that happens, we all would like to be in the courtroom.
Are you that brainwashed by Apple that you can not even admit that an erroneously verdict has been issued in this case by a flawed jury? Not to mention the biased judge that prevented Samsung's evidence to be presented to begin with, how is that for a "fair" trial?
Yes, apparently you are.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Chances are that the jury foreman LIED on the pre-trial questionnaire. But then this judge (who's house and all his relatives houses are filled with crApple stuff) doesn't care.[/citation]

Not at all the case. The transcripts of the juror selection were already published--don't remember the site, but you can look it up and read through it. The lawyers hardly questioned the guy--no following up clearly obvious questions, etc. Which brings me to...

I didn't want Apple to be victorious with this whole lawsuit just because I dislike Apple and how they conduct themselves as a company. But come on, if the Samsung lawyers honestly didn't go after the foreman properly during jury selection (and my conspiracy theory was they knew about his history, and intentionally allowed him to remain on just to have this option of a mistrial later), it's their own dumb fault. As much as I wouldn't want Apple to win, I also would agree with the judge (this time...). If this is the true caliber of their lawyers, they ought to seek new ones.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Samsung infringed so they gotta pay simple as that, lets move on now. They even want to copy Apple's icloud and ecosystem. Samsung cannot just raise the prices of components nor can they take this to a higher court, so stop kidding yourselves. Apple will eventually find other suppliers for their hardware anyway.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]redeemer[/nom]Samsung infringed so they gotta pay simple as that, lets move on now. They even want to copy Apple's icloud and ecosystem. Samsung cannot just raise the prices of components nor can they take this to a higher court, so stop kidding yourselves. Apple will eventually find other suppliers for their hardware anyway.[/citation]
How the fuck can you patent the "iCloud" when there's already thousands of other cloud services? Get off Toms you fanboy.

YardstickWHACK

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]How the fuck can you patent the "iCloud" when there's already thousands of other cloud services? Get off Toms you fanboy.[/citation]
Don't feed the trolls.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Samsung blew it in the voir dire phase, but that doesn't change the fact of a tainted jury, nor does it change the fact that the judge, who has already been shown to be tainted should have recused herself.

I doubt this will stand if, as we all assume, Samsung appeals. A lot depends on which court hears the appeal . . . if it's the 9th Circuit, Samsung is probably cooked. On the other hand, the 9th Circuit has such an abysmal record of being over-turned by the SCOTUS that it might work to Samsung's advantage. :)

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Amazing how much Apple angers people on Tom's.

Its almost like people are trying to ignore Apple news in hopes that Apple news disappears from Tom's pages, but their overwhelming hatred for all things Apple compels them to comment anyway.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Amazing how much Apple angers people on Tom's.Its almost like people are trying to ignore Apple news in hopes that Apple news disappears from Tom's pages, but their overwhelming hatred for all things Apple compels them to comment anyway.[/citation]

To ignore Apple news would be like ignoring terrorism. If Apple is allowed to get away with this crap they will think this is a good business plan (sue instead of compete). And if people ignore it, they are more likely to get away with it. So, NO, we're not trying to ignore Apple's draconian tactics. Apple got their hatred the old fashioned way... They EARNED it.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]catswold[/nom]Samsung blew it in the voir dire phase, but that doesn't change the fact of a tainted jury, nor does it change the fact that the judge, who has already been shown to be tainted should have recused herself.[/citation]

That's not how it works though. If a lawyer does not properly examine a potential juror at the inception of a trial (either intentionally or unintentionally), that's their problem. Imagine the consequences--a defense lawyer intentionally not properly examining a potential juror for the explicit reason to try to use them as an excuse for a mistrial later.

And the judge has been pretty much impartial to this case. I don't like Apple as a business or a brand. I am sure Samsung looked directly at Apple devices for how they can make a competitive product (as most competing companies do with one another). While I think the overall values of amounts is completely overblown, there was pretty solid evidence of Apple communicating to Samsung that they would be violating patents (and offered licensing of some patents) if they continued with product releases. Can't really argue with that on a legal sense. In my opinion, it's just another testament to how broken the patent system is though.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]So blame everyone except Samsung's incompetent lawyers....typical fanboy comments in here. So pathetic...[/citation]
Quoted you just so the usual idiots can't make good comments disappear.

The best part about this decision? Knowing that countless raging nerds all over the world are fuming and losing sleep over something that doesn't even affect them.

I find it humurous one can make a single pro-Apple comment and generate gigawatts of nerd rage for 1 minute of typing. Now imagine if there was a way to harness all that wasted energy?

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]To ignore Apple news would be like ignoring terrorism. If Apple is allowed to get away with this crap they will think this is a good business plan (sue instead of compete). And if people ignore it, they are more likely to get away with it. So, NO, we're not trying to ignore Apple's draconian tactics. Apple got their hatred the old fashioned way... They EARNED it.[/citation]
Eh I disagree.

I should point out that they ARE competing... and while they have had a slight dip lately, they are still doing very well. They just feel like Samsung blatantly stole their ideas, and they are using their right to file a lawsuit. It isn't like they are sitting back and crying because someone took their crayons.

Anyway, I typically don't like Apple products because of their closed platforms and prices. But I'm not going to hate a company or compare them to terrorism just because they are using their right to file a lawsuit against a company they feel stole from them.

If I designed the cinder block and patented it, and you created something that looked, behaved, and functioned almost exactly like my cinder block... you better believe it I'm gonna sue you. It isn't like I am unwilling to compete with you, I am just protecting my invention from copy-cats.

Now I'm not saying that Samsung did or didn't copy Apple, because I haven't looked at the case personally. BUT, if you have to be angry at something, then you should be angry at the patent systems around the world that allow Apple to file these supposedly unjustified lawsuits.

Anyway, just my opinion, everyone else is entitled to their own opinions.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Chances are that the jury foreman LIED on the pre-trial questionnaire. But then this judge (who's house and all his relatives houses are filled with crApple stuff) doesn't care.[/citation]

And you know this how?

Status
Not open for further replies.