[SOLVED] Samsung drives not detected through SATA to USB adapter

Oct 9, 2019
Hi all,

I've got a strange case that I just can't wrap my head around.

I had 4 internal HDDs in my pc, 1 Seagate, 1 Toshiba and 2 Samsungs. I wanted to start using these drives as externals (to use with a Raspberry Pi), so I bought 4 3.5" SATA enclosures.

There were no problems at all with the Seagate and the Toshiba, but the Samsungs are doing me in.

Both of them work fine internally, but are not detected through the enclosure. Not by file explorer, disk management, or the RaspPi.

I've got no clue at all how to make this work, especially as the drive work fine when internally connected.

Who is going to save my day (or week by now)?:)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I have such a USB/SATA/PATA converter and tried it with my Raspberry 2B.
I have connected a standard oldie PATA DVD drive and a Samsung 850EVO 500Gb, simoultaneously to the same adapter unit.
That way I have 2 drives on 1 USB port.
Using external power to the drives of course !

I had no issues in Raspbian/Debian getting the 2 drives up as separate desktop icons.
And I could browse the drives with the file manager.
I am using one of these cheapskate Ebay/AliExpres adapters @ some £3.

This is with the latest download of noobs and the usual sudo apt update/upgrade.

You may have an issue with external power to the drive as RPI USB is certainly is very keen on pwr sourcing.
Do you get the infamous yellow lightning bolt on screen when trying your Samsung SSD setup ?

Oct 9, 2019
I have such a USB/SATA/PATA converter and tried it with my Raspberry 2B.
I have connected a standard oldie PATA DVD drive and a Samsung 850EVO 500Gb, simoultaneously to the same adapter unit.
That way I have 2 drives on 1 USB port.
Using external power to the drives of course !

I had no issues in Raspbian/Debian getting the 2 drives up as separate desktop icons.
And I could browse the drives with the file manager.
I am using one of these cheapskate Ebay/AliExpres adapters @ some £3.

This is with the latest download of noobs and the usual sudo apt update/upgrade.

You may have an issue with external power to the drive as RPI USB is certainly is very keen on pwr sourcing.
Do you get the infamous yellow lightning bolt on screen when trying your Samsung SSD setup ?

The problem isn't in Raspian, it's somehow in the drive or the adapter (or the combination). The drive also doesn't show up in Windows, nor in Raspian. Even though I'm using the exact same adapters that I'm using with two other drives, that work perfectly. It's also not an SSD, it's an old 3.5" HDD...

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
What SATA generation is the drives you have.
As I recall it, we have 1.5Gb/s, 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s generations.
They must differ, since IMHO this is the problem related to the SATA gen in the adapter case.

Try find spec on the Samsung HDD, even a datasheet.
There MAY be some asterix notice on the SATA drive port, just to spoil any persons happy day :censored:

TRENDING THREADS