News Samsung Embraces PCIe 4.0 in Upcoming 980 PRO SSD

alextheblue

Distinguished
Innogrit recently jumped into the scene with its Rainier IG5236 SSD controller that offers sequential read and write speeds over 7,000 MB/s and 6,000 MB/s, respectively. Samsung will really need to up its game if the company wants to the 980 PRO to be the fastest PCIe 4.0 SSD on the market.
I mean, sequential max speeds are nice and all... but it doesn't directly correspond to real-world performance. So for all we know the 980 Pro will be the fastest (depending on the workload). We won't know until they hit the labs.

As for me I'll be waiting to see how a more affordable "980 Evo" performs.

Jasonovich

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
Shame it's only X570 and TR HEDT motherboards only, would be nice to see Intel get in on the act.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No 2tb version? And new even smaller 256gb version instead... interesting direction... this has to be lighning speed or it is out of competition in release!
The higher-capacity drives are QLC, which is also slower. In order to hit the high speeds one would expect of a PCIe 4.0 drive, they are naturally using a lower-density memory, which also means lower capacity.

According to the article:
Samsung didn't specify what type of NAND the 980 PRO uses. Given that the brand's PRO line of SSDs traditionally use MLC (multi-level cell) chips, we don't expect the 980 PRO to break that mold.

So, that's 2 bits per cell, which is literally half the per-cell capacity you get from "QLC" (which is actually 4 bits per cell - 16 levels, not the 4 suggested by the name).