Samsung Evo 750 (250 GB SSD) not detected on BIOS (AHCI enabled) or Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

imamon

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Upgraded good old windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, then decided to buy an SSD to migrate the OS.

The first SSD I had to return because it was not being detected by the AHCI enabled BIOS or the OS itself. No unallocated space found in disk management.

Today the replacement came in and the same problem persists.

I have installed Samsung Magician 4.9.7 and Samsung Data Migration 3.0.0 , but neither detected the SSD.
I am using an old SATA 3.0 cable which works because I had used it to connect my old HDD even 5 minutes ago (I only received the SSD and the warranty statement).
The SATA 3.0 and 2.0 ports on the motherboard works since, again, the old HDD is working.
I cannot SecureErase what I cannot see.

What are the chances of both SSDs being DOA?
What am I doing wrong?

Help out a sestra please.

Best,
Imamon.

Intel i5 -4440,
8 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 Ram,
Gigabyte GA - H81M - S1 Rev 2.1 (UEFI BIOS updated till 20.6.2015)

Solution
Go to BIOS, select Peripherals -> SATA Configuration -> Integrated SATA Controller ->
Enable all SATA Ports
Set Mode to AHCI
Disable Hotplug
Disable External SATA
Save changes an reboot

Try detecting the SSD again, there is not reason why this should not work.

Try to reset BIOS to factory defaults.

If the SSD is detected in Windows you have to initialize it first, before making aprtitions or do cloning. If you clone, don't make partiotions on it.
Presumably your "old" HDD contained a functioning OS and was the disk your SSD was designed to replace (at least in terms of installing the OS), right?

So when you reconnect that HDD it boots & functions properly, without any problems, right?

So when the SSD is connected as a SECONDARY drive in the system - the boot drive being the HDD, what happens? Not detected in Device Manager? Not listed in Disk Management?

imamon

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

I don't have access to another computer for that to happen :(

imamon

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

It's as if the SSD does not exist, not a peep anywhere on the OS or the BIOS. I had disconnected the HDD, tried installing UBUNTU on the SSD, but even that cannot detect the SSD. Updating the BIOS did not help.

I am returning the item. Should have stuck to ordinary HDDs.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Go to BIOS, select Peripherals -> SATA Configuration -> Integrated SATA Controller ->
Enable all SATA Ports
Set Mode to AHCI
Disable Hotplug
Disable External SATA
Save changes an reboot

Try detecting the SSD again, there is not reason why this should not work.

Try to reset BIOS to factory defaults.

If the SSD is detected in Windows you have to initialize it first, before making aprtitions or do cloning. If you clone, don't make partiotions on it.

Solution

GKeko

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
I have the same problem as imamom and i think that i tryed everything. Well i tryed what mad-max79 suggested to change IDE to AHCI, but when i do this, my SSD is not recognized as AHCI and i cannot boot. When i am using IDE, my SSD will boot, but after some time i get random freezes.

I tryed to boot windows with my old disk seted to AHCI and it works.
I tryed this Samsung SSD disk on my old laptop setted to AHCI... really strange, it boots fine and it works with no problems.

My motherboard: Asus p5b-e with latest bios version
Procesor: Xeon X5450

GKeko

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Ok, so now i have tryed my last option. Removed all other HDD disks and "installed" just the ssd, but on the jmicron sata-raid port. I did enable AHCI in bios (on board configuration - jmicron port) and made a fresh install of windows 7 Enterprise (original image from microsoft). For now, its working flawless and really hope it stays so.

BAMbit TV

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
ok I had the same problem with Samsung evo 750 250gb and I solved it by connecting the ssd by USB and its make the storage of ssd unlocated , then I connect normaly with sata and format the disk.
only this way I had 2 times this problem and in both case its solved my problem, there is no solution in google so I experiment by my self and I find the solution.
it hapend when I try to swap disk with other computer or when I try to change permissions of windows.
sry for my english

Feb 17, 2017
Hi,

I too had the same issue. The Samsung EVO 750 is working fine with the laptop. But it is not booting in Desktop MB(It had only AHCI mode). Finally I brought new MB which have AHCI and RAID Modes. The issue happened in the new Board also(in AHCI mode). I changes SATA Mode to RAID, Now its working fine with great speed. I asked about this in Shop where I brought the MB, they really don't know. They said all SSD will work on all MB. In my experience SSD is working fine in RAID mode (Gigabyte MB).