Samsung EVO 840 120gb vs Crucial MX100 256GB

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
I want the fastest one because i'm using it for JUST the os and possibly a couple games. I don't even need a 256gb.

Would games be fast enough on a 1tb western digital (loading times ofc) rather than bulking up the ssd?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
for the money and your use, the mx100 is a great choice. the added features of the higher end models are not as much speed rather than security features and such. you'll be happy with the mx100 and will quickly forget there are other options out there :D

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
so the very first time i install the windows 8.1 oem is the clean install? would i be able to use the same ssd with the os on it again with a new motherboard in the future ?

@Math Geek - u don't recommend i get a 1tb WD along with the crucal for all the games i'll be playin?

How much gb do games on steam usually take up? Like csgo for example

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
games can be as big as 20 gb or more. but on average they are smaller. if you wish to install a few you are playing at the moment and then swap them out, then you can easily go with 256 gb. if you wish to install them all forever and store a bunch of media files, then you will want more space. i have a ton of media files so i have multiple drives totaling over 4 tb. but many i know store very little and would never fill up 256 gb. my os partition is 250 gb and it is barely over 100 gb with about 30 steam games installed. these are not big games but there is a lot of them.

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
So you're using a 256 gb ssd and you have 7200 rpm hard drives for other stuff?

I mean i probably should get the 1tb 7200 rpm WD drive too, but i was getting an SSD for the OS and was just wondering why the crucial had more than double the samsung capacity for just 15-20 dollars more. Is it just for the name brand of samsung lol?

Are all the curcials the same quality and speed? BEcause the 120gb crucial is $62.99 at amazon.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct128mx100ssd1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFAGCWK/?tag=pcpapi-20

Of the crucial 128gb , 256gb, and samsung evo which is the best buy?

If i held out on the SSD and just bought a 7200 rpm 1tb hard drive for now, and put the OS on it, and got an SSD later on, how would i go about removing it from the 7200 rpm HD and putting it on the SSD, since you only get 1 OS access code?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't use an ssd right now. i was waiting for prices and capacity to go down. but from reviews and benchmarks i have read, the ssd will shave seconds off load times. i don't know how long you wait now for a game load but if 10 seconds or so would make your life better, then go for the ssd.

the crucial mx100 256 gb would be a great buy. as you noted it is little more than the 128gb one from samsung and there is not a massive quality difference to justify this. 256 gb to me would be the lowest to go to allow for everything to be installed. add in a hdd like the WD caviar blue for storage and you'll be set for space. moving the os to an ssd later is not too difficult but there are enough issues with it that i would suggest a fresh install when you add the ssd (if you go this route). then simply delete the os from the hdd and move on.

i can't give specific times since i don't use an ssd but again, a few seconds here and there saved in load times is what i would expect from it. not worth it to me right now but to some it is.