Question Samsung EVO 860 bulid quality issues

Dec 12, 2019
Hello

I bought a new Samsung EVO 860 SSD and as you can see in the video linked at the bottom, there is a margin on the left corner. It doesn't seem to be completely solid. The other corners are solid.

Is this normal? The reviews of the SSD are great and I don't see this issue anywhere mentioned. Usually people complain about everything, so it seems unusual. The Samsung customer support's response was ambivalent, both saying that the movement is maybe (not even sure) possible and suggesting me to exchange it with the seller. Probably just didn't know it.

I checked all the values with different softwares (Magician, CrystalDiskInfo) and everything is and works fine and the product is unused according to these softwares, but I was just wondering whether or not someone else has that small issue (that could be a problem in the future maybe, that is my primary concern really.)

(It's not the screws of the mounting bracket in the video that causes that btw.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZQV0KIObU&feature=youtu.be

Dec 12, 2019
Thanks for checking your SSDs.

I bought it from a normal and popular electronic store in austria (Mediamarkt). So the seller is probably not the problem and it was sold as a new SSD and was properly packed.

The samsung magician software and other "check" software all show that it's a new 860 EVO SSD with zero boots and zero hours (respectively it adds my boots and hours, so that seems to work fine), so that seems to be okay, unless of course that display can somehow be faked or some parts have been exchanged that I cannot verify so easily.

The performance was 340MB reading and 250MB writing when I tested it in the magician software. So that seems a bit low and it didn't really reach that when I copied files to, from and within the SSD, but possibly it's just my old PC from 2011 or so that makes that happen. I don't know really. I had it plugged in a sata 6G plug.

Here is a screenshot I made. It looks all good. https://abload.de/img/unbenannthvk0i.png

Because everything seems to be ok, except for that, I might just keep it.

Dec 12, 2019
If you remove it, does the case snap closed? Looks simply like the plastic is not lined up, that is not going to do anything to the drive.

I'm not going to open it, but on all the other corners it fits tight, so it would be physically impossible not to be lined up on that one single corner. Pressing against it also doesn't close it. And removing the mounting frame also doesn't change anything.

But since it works, I just keep it now and hope it is just some minor fabrication mistake that is not going to make me regret that decision.