Question Samsung evo 860 dropping speed

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
I have been using crystal disk mark and sometimes benchmark shows 140 mb/s of speed and then I restart and it goes back to 270mb/s ish which is I think normal because I use it on a only sata 2 supported mobo. Ssd is the 250 gb version and has 150gb free space. It only have windows and a few games on it.

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Performance tests like that are best done right after a reboot.
Yours, just after a reboot, is showing just about what an SSD should be on a SATA II port.

Doesn't sound like there is any issue.
When it is running for a quite some hour, it doesn't go more than 140 mb/s again. So no it is not about rebooting. It is like it cannot do more than 140. Then again my 1tb wd10ezex hdd does 139mb/s. When my ssd is stuck at 140mb/s I restart the computer and run the benchmarks again (I've used samsung magician too, shows same speeds) and then it can get close to sata 2's limits which my ssd gets 270mb/s in benchmark programs.

edit: oh wait I think I didn't get you the first time. So you saying it should be done after reboot ok but what about those 140mb/s of speeds am I seeing when it is running for some time? Aren't they real?

USAFRet

Titan
When it is running for a quite some hour, it doesn't go more than 140 mb/s again. So no it is not about rebooting. It is like it cannot do more than 140. Then again my 1tb wd10ezex hdd does 139mb/s. When my ssd is stuck at 140mb/s I restart the computer and run the benchmarks again (I've used samsung magician too, shows same speeds) and then it can get close to sata 2's limits which my ssd gets 270mb/s in benchmark programs.

edit: oh wait I think I didn't get you the first time. So you saying it should be done after reboot ok but what about those 140mb/s of speeds am I seeing when it is running for some time? Aren't they real?
That sounds like it IS faster right after a reboot.

I've seen a few odd anomaly cases where a few mainboards' SSD speeds seemed to be inhibited whenever some hard drives were even connected; made no sense, but, very repeatable results. (Perhaps SATA controller strangeness unique to some mainboards? Or perhaps when some not-so-obvious background indexing is occurring at the spinning drives' max transfer rates, the reads/writes to other drives is dragged down)

If windows is on your SSD and you are trying to test your SSD speed, well it isn't going to work.
Windows is always doing things in the background - which is why you get a better speed after reboot.
Once you have opened/closed programmes, windows will always take priority over a test. So you won't ever get the full speed.

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
If windows is on your SSD and you are trying to test your SSD speed, well it isn't going to work.
Windows is always doing things in the background - which is why you get a better speed after reboot.
Once you have opened/closed programmes, windows will always take priority over a test. So you won't ever get the full speed.
Sometimes I can get its full speed even when chrome is open with 10 tabs and then again when the whole system is idle I get 140mb/s.

nymphquake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
I've seen a few odd anomaly cases where a few mainboards' SSD speeds seemed to be inhibited whenever some hard drives were even connected; made no sense, but, very repeatable results. (Perhaps SATA controller strangeness unique to some mainboards? Or perhaps when some not-so-obvious background indexing is occurring at the spinning drives' max transfer rates, the reads/writes to other drives is dragged down)
My mobo is Asrock n68c-gs fx it is sata 2 with amd fx cpu support so you might be right and yes it is old. Also 1 tb and 500gb hdd's are connected to the mobo so yes. Windows's up time is 2 days right now and I can get 267mb/s of speed even with chrome and spotify open. It will get 140mb/s of speed out of the blue when I test it some next time, strange but that happens :)