Discussion Samsung EVO 970 256GB on a Laptop based on Intel Core i5 8250U

Nov 5, 2020
I have ASUS VivoBook S15 with Intel Core i5 8250U, It already have an SSD still I ordered an Samsung EVO 970 Plus 256 GB which is Gen 3.0 X 4
I checked for my Processor on Intel's site it was showing PCI configuration in below way

PCI Express revision : 3.0
PCI Express Configurations : 1x4, 2x2, 1x2+2x1 and 4x1
Max # of PCI Express Lanes : 12

What does it means? Can I get full benefit of 970 EVO plus on my PC or not?

My Laptop already have an 1 Wireless Adapter, 1 HDD and dedicated GPU (MX 150)

Please guide me before I receive parcel.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Well since your laptop already has an SSD (depending what brand, or model it is) then you won’t see any increase of performance. Unless you’re buying that EVO 970 for more space.

you should be able to fully use the EVO 970 performance since the PCIE, or NVME slot interface is 3.0 gen same goes for the EVO 970.

PCIE express revision is basically an interference speeds like 2.0 or 3.0. So basically if the PCIE express is gen 2.0 it will still support pcie expansions that uses gen 3.0 interference, but will run at speeds of the gen 2.0 because it’s the max it can support.

(Backwards compatibility pretty much)

https://www.trentonsystems.com/blog/pci-express-interface?hs_amp=true
(On the website scroll down to the “Summary of PCI Express Interface Parameters.”

may be confusing since on the intel website it refers the NVME slot as a PCIE slot interference. I’m not to sure because that’s only pci like interference on a laptop.

Nov 5, 2020
Well since your laptop already has an SSD (depending what brand, or model it is) then you won’t see any increase of performance. Unless you’re buying that EVO 970 for more space.

you should be able to fully use the EVO 970 performance since the PCIE, or NVME slot interface is 3.0 gen same goes for the EVO 970.

PCIE express revision is basically an interference speeds like 2.0 or 3.0. So basically if the PCIE express is gen 2.0 it will still support pcie expansions that uses gen 3.0 interference, but will run at speeds of the gen 2.0 because it’s the max it can support.

(Backwards compatibility pretty much)

https://www.trentonsystems.com/blog/pci-express-interface?hs_amp=true
(On the website scroll down to the “Summary of PCI Express Interface Parameters.”

may be confusing since on the intel website it refers the NVME slot as a PCIE slot interference. I’m not to sure because that’s only pci like interference on a laptop.

Actually my Laptop Supports Gen 3 SSDs, My Current SSD's Read and Write speed is 550MB/s and 970 EVO Plus have 3400MB/s but again I seen some revives on Amazon which is saying they was just getting 1800 MB/s on their Laptop, some are getting 3400 MB/s on Gen 3 supported laptops.

Evo 970 Plus is 3.0 X 4. is that means if it gets physical 4 lanes then it gives 3400 MB/s and if it gets 2 Physical lanes then it gives 1800 MB/s?