Question Samsung Evo 970 Meltdown?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
My PC has been blue screening but I hve been unable to reload Windows 10 after working with folks on this site. The PC will go all the way through the load and it aborts. I can't go into the BIOS either.

Opened my case and removed the cover that fits over the Samsung Evo 970 that is mounted on the MB. This cover had medium sized spots that seemed sticky like 'honey.'The cover comes in contact with the actual device.

What is this substance and is it caused by heat? What are signs that this drive is damaged in terms of functionality? Incidentily, This SSD It is my C drive.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Adding images to corroborate what you're seeing helps us two fold. Please host your image on a site like Imgur or their ilk and then parse the link to this thread. Did you remember to remove any protective film that's above the thermal pad under the heatsink you mentioned?

Motherboard as stated in your sig space?
Meaning = Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite with MD Ryzen 7, 3700X

The PC will go all the way through the load and it aborts.
Elaborate on this as well.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Adding images to corroborate what you're seeing helps us two fold. Please host your image on a site like Imgur or their ilk and then parse the link to this thread. Did you remember to remove any protective film that's above the thermal pad under the heatsink you mentioned?

Motherboard as stated in your sig space?
Meaning = Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite with MD Ryzen 7, 3700X

The PC will go all the way through the load and it aborts.
Elaborate on this as well.
I will send a picture of the SSD and thermalpad shortly. As for the Windows load, I went through Recovery under Update Security. The Thumbdrive reload went to 100% but I was never prompted about a license key nor did it walk me through personalization settings.

Upon completion, an Error message stated "The Installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an Error during APPLY_IMAGE operation".

Lutfij

Titan
If the OS was installed on the board prior with your license key, then the key is stored on the BIOS chip, it won't ask for the key if what you've used is a genuine key.

"The Installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an Error during APPLY_IMAGE operation"
You have any other drives hooked to the board while you're installing the OS?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
If the OS was installed on the board prior with your license key, then the key is stored on the BIOS chip, it won't ask for the key if what you've used is a genuine key.

"The Installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an Error during APPLY_IMAGE operation"
You have any other drives hooked to the board while you're installing the OS?
The pictures you asked for are here: View: https://imgur.com/oOxej4I
View: https://imgur.com/ZGw4AC5

View: https://imgur.com/3ff06z0

Can the shield remain off to aid in keeping the SDD cooler?

Here are Windows responses.
I read in a couple of other posts that suggested disconnecting attached hard drives are best to accommodate reloading windows 10 on an SDD so I did that. As stated before, the OS resides on this Samsung EVO.

When I disconnected the very last drive which is the 2 TB Seagate, the PC would no longer boot. Go figure. I had to reconnect it.

I wanted to go into the BIOS to change the boot order to launch with the Thumb drive. If you launch via a Windows 10 Installation boot disk, isn't that best for performing a reinstall in order to avoid the original corrupted Windows configuratiion from loading?

No Keyboard function key will let me into the BIOS.

Question - Can a Virus or Malware create the prooblem I am dealing with?

Lutfij

Titan
Question - Can a Virus or Malware create the prooblem I am dealing with?
Possible.

I wanted to go into the BIOS to change the boot order to launch with the Thumb drive. If you launch via a Windows 10 Installation boot disk, isn't that best for performing a reinstall in order to avoid the original corrupted Windows configuratiion from loading?
We've been through this prior, you format and reinstall the OS onto the drive, if there's nothing of importance on it.

Samsung Evo 970
You have the Samsung 970 Evo Plus, they are different units.
+
Did you remember to install the NVMe driver for your SSD?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
After numerous tries, I was finally able to get MediaCreationTool21H2 to install the Windows 10 installation file onto 128 MB Thumb drive.

I intend to remove the CMOS battery to reset the Bios to factory settings. I am assuming that the quick boot will no longer be in effect to where I can get into Bios and change the boot order. Will the Windows installation overwrite what's currently on Evo 750 drive?

Are there any other particular settings that need to be changed in the Bios to make my machine operable? E.G. Sata settngs?

I will have one HDD and one portable SSD? I use the PC to play online games and to watch TV along with Youtube videos.The machine is not overclocked.

After numerous tries, I was finally able to get MediaCreationTool21H2 to install the Windows 10 installation file onto 128 MB Thumb drive.

I intend to remove the CMOS battery to reset the Bios to factory settings. I am assuming that the quick boot will no longer be in effect to where I can get into Bios and change the boot order. Will the Windows installation overwrite what's currently on Evo 750 drive?

Are there any other particular settings that need to be changed in the Bios to make my machine operable? E.G. Sata settngs?

I will have one HDD and one portable SSD? I use the PC to play online games and to watch TV along with Youtube videos.The machine is not overclocked.
Make sure that you have CSM disabled and UEFI mode enabled in BIOS before windows installation. Disconnect HDD or any other SATA disk or just disable SATA ports, NVME is not affected because it's working of PCIe lanes. Reconnect/enable HDD only after windows are working fully.
If you are doing clean installation, during installation choose to delete all partitions on NVME and let windows make own. Skip entering activation code, windows will activate when you connect to internet automatically when on same MB it was activated before. MS keeps your MB's particulars on their server.
Same goes for W11 but for it you will have to enable TPM in BIOS.
A for activation, MS makes no distinction between W10 and W11.