Question Samsung Evo 970 plus is not supported by magician and driver can't be installed

Oct 11, 2020
Samsung 970 plus 2 TB to upgrade my laptop (Asus fx705gm Tuf gaming) ssd, instead of the standard one 128gb.
It's not supported by Samsung magician or migration...
I tried to install it's driver 3.3 , it comes always error says "Samsung nvme express device is not connected, connect the driver and try again".
And I've changed bios sata configuration to AHCI .
I'm connecting that 970 plus with external ssd enclosure by usb port
For info , I did clone before on it using macrium reflect.
But I did erased this all because I want that Evo 970 plus to be supported by Samsung magician and migration.
I've updated my bios.
I want to use Evo 970 plus as two drive, 500 GB for Windows and the rest in another drive .

RealBeast

Titan
Samsung Magician only works with internally connected drives (SATA and NVMe), no USB.

Backup your data and do a clean install of W10 to the 970, use the W10 drivers for the 2TB, which must be either unallocated or GPT formatted, which you can do at the beginning of the install by choosing custom if you start with the drive unallocated.

Reactions: Sam lalonde
Oct 11, 2020
Samsung Magician only works with internally connected drives (SATA and NVMe), no USB.

Backup your data and do a clean install of W10 to the 970, use the W10 drivers for the 2TB, which must be either unallocated or GPT formatted, which you can do at the beginning of the install by choosing custom if you start with the drive unallocated.
Thanks for you quick response
It means I can't do Clone by Samsung migration app to the Evo 970 plus ?

Oct 11, 2020
Ok, I believe I wasn't clear , I have 256 usb. And my sata HDD which is in laptop have 100 GB , but I can make it 150gb by moving data to my usb.
Or you need fee space on HDD 150 plus free 256 GB usb ?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, I believe I wasn't clear , I have 256 usb. And my sata HDD which is in laptop have 100 GB , but I can make it 150gb by moving data to my usb.
Or you need fee space on HDD 150 plus free 256 GB usb ?
You need free space on the HDD, greater than the size of the current 128GB SSD>
Hence, the "150GB"

You also need a flash drive to boot from.
We will be creating a bootable Macrium Reflect Rescue USB.
The creation of that function may wipe out any data on that particular device. Hence..."move that data elsewhere temporarily "

OK?

The basic concept is:
Install and run Macrium Reflect. Use that to create a Macrium Rescue USB.
Using Macrium Reflect, create an Image of the current drive on to your HDD. Not a full 'clone' but rather an Image.
Physically swap the drives...take out the 128GB put in the new 970.
Boot from the Rescue USB you made earlier
Click the Recovery function.
Tell it where the Image is (on the HDD), and what drive to apply it to (the new SSD)

Oct 11, 2020
You need free space on the HDD, greater than the size of the current 128GB SSD>
Hence, the "150GB"

You also need a flash drive to boot from.
We will be creating a bootable Macrium Reflect Rescue USB.
The creation of that function may wipe out any data on that particular device. Hence..."move that data elsewhere temporarily "

OK?

The basic concept is:
Install and run Macrium Reflect. Use that to create a Macrium Rescue USB.
Using Macrium Reflect, create an Image of the current drive on to your HDD. Not a full 'clone' but rather an Image.
Physically swap the drives...take out the 128GB put in the new 970.
Boot from the Rescue USB you made earlier
Click the Recovery function.
Tell it where the Image is (on the HDD), and what drive to apply it to (the new SSD)
Thanks slot of your explanation and patience.
I'm going to apply it tomorrow, because my daughter want to play with me untill she sleep ... :)
Thanks again for your time .

Oct 11, 2020
Good luck.
Any question/concerns/problems, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks a lot for your care.
But I believe I did something wrong.
All was good untill I booting from usb .
After it I couldn't find recovery function, I've tried restore , I did located where is the image , and I did chooser where to apply it( new ssd), but the new ssd it was already unlocated, but I just choosed to apply on it without locating a drive,
Now my laptop is not booting from anywhere and keep going to bios ..

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks a lot for your care.
But I believe I did something wrong.
All was good untill I booting from usb .
After it I couldn't find recovery function, I've tried restore , I did located where is the image , and I did chooser where to apply it( new ssd), but the new ssd it was already unlocated, but I just choosed to apply on it without locating a drive,
Now my laptop is not booting from anywhere and keep going to bios ..
So you did or did not tell it to recover the Image to the new SSD?

Oct 11, 2020
So you did or did not tell it to recover the Image to the new SSD?
I couldn't find the recover option in rescue usb boot, but I could find that image and I did choosed it and applied it on the new ssd (which was unlocated) then before applying it I did expect to have msg that I must setup a drive first before applying it, but it started to load till the end successfully and then I did restart, and it just leading me directly to bios , and in bios there is no boot option at all except the usb flash.

Oct 11, 2020
So...
Power OFF
disconnect all devices except the new SSD.
Power UP

What happens?
Power off, the usb disconnected, nothing else except the new ssd, then power up, then directly to bios, in bios there is no boot option, and I checked , I found it can read that the new ssd as storage is connected,
Should I format and delete what's on the new ssd again then then making new drive not leaving it as unlocated? And then applying all these steps again ..?

Oct 11, 2020
I've got msg after applying that image on the new ssd that process successfully finished.
Now I did changed my ssd to the old one to be able to use my old system .
And to be able also to erase what's on the new ssd if i did wrong

USAFRet

Titan
I've got msg after applying that image on the new ssd that process successfully finished.
Now I did changed my ssd to the old one to be able to use my old system .
And to be able also to erase what's on the new ssd if i did wrong
Cloning is great, when it works. If it fails, and you still want to move to the new drive, a clean install may be in order.

Reactions: Sam lalonde