Question Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD is overheating (77C) without me doing anything ?

Apr 26, 2022
I just recently cloned my OC to a bigger sized SSD but for some reason, it's going up to 77 C (according to Crystal info) without me doing anything, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Apr 26, 2022
Check for firmware update.

Just because your not doing anything does not mean windows is idle.
But there's literally nothing going on, internet isn't up or anything
Here's a screenshot
9Zewg21.jpg

also how do you go about updating the firmware on a samsung ssd?

But there's literally nothing going on, internet isn't up or anything
Here's a screenshot
9Zewg21.jpg

also how do you go about updating the firmware on a samsung ssd?

Apr 26, 2022
77c isn't overheating and Windows will do stuff with your drive especially when you are idle.

Bring up resource monitor and switch to the disk tab to see whats using your drive.
Well I assume that it's red, its not a very good sign

XEu0SS4.jpg

8hAFwKL.jpg

I have a laptop that has a similar brand ssd (samsung pro 980) that's doing all this but at around 40 - 45

D

Deleted member 14196

oh, you have the WRONG driver apparently for that device

uninstall that driver and let windows put the Microsoft NVME driver in

THAT is your problem

D

Deleted member 14196

uninstall the BS intel driver and use Microsoft driver it is telling you that look at the red triangle and text following. it says it is not compatible with the intel driver, and frankly i can't understand how you had that driver installed in the first place.

Apr 26, 2022
uninstall the BS intel driver and use Microsoft driver it is telling you that look at the red triangle and text following. it says it is not compatible with the intel driver, and frankly i can't understand how you had that driver installed in the first place.
I know it's got the red triangle there but I had trouble installing the samsung driver because it kept giving me the error message of express driver not found
Can you point me to the right direction on the microsoft nvme driver? the thing is I got this laptop preowned
and didn't expect this kind of thing to pop up lol ^_^'

D

Deleted member 14196

in your device manager, go delete the ssd, then reboot, windows should take care of it. if not, you have windows issues as well. just use the driver that comes with windows if it works after that, leave it alone and all should be well.

use windows search for Device Manager and you will be able to open the app. Then go to disk drives on the menu and open it, select the ssd and rightclick on it and delete it. then restart windows

D

Deleted member 14196

look under Disk Drives, post a pic of what you see, i don't have your hardware to test with to answer, but if there are no IDE/ATAPI then something is dreadfully wrong with windows i would think

look, if you got this used, you really need to FORMAT and INSTALL CLEAN in order for everything to be right. If you haven't then good luck. you get what you get.

How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

with an ssd like you have? i would format and install clean, use the other one in a usb enclosure to copy data off of

then, don't install IRS, if it works after clean, then leave it alone. you might consider the latest intel chopset driver and graphics if you have Intel inegrated graphcis, but that's it

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 26, 2022
look under Disk Drives, post a pic of what you see, i don't have your hardware to test with to answer, but if there are no IDE/ATAPI then something is dreadfully wrong with windows i would think

look, if you got this used, you really need to FORMAT and INSTALL CLEAN in order for everything to be right. If you haven't then good luck. you get what you get.

How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

with an ssd like you have? i would format and install clean, use the other one in a usb enclosure to copy data off of

then, don't install IRS, if it works after clean, then leave it alone. you might consider the latest intel chopset driver and graphics if you have Intel inegrated graphcis, but that's it
TZCq9KG.jpg

yeah its not there

D

Deleted member 14196

right click on the Intel controller thing and uninstall, then reboot

if it reinstalls then it's supposed to be there for your storage needs, however the Samsung software is not compatible with it apparently. however, from there you can try to update drivers.

look on intel hardware forums too for answers to high temp on that ssd

Apr 26, 2022
right click on the Intel controller thing and uninstall, then reboot

if it reinstalls then it's supposed to be there for your storage needs, however the Samsung software is not compatible with it apparently. however, from there you can try to update drivers.

look on intel hardware forums too for answers to high temp on that ssd
I can clone a windows 10 from my own computer onto this one to see if there is any difference, It doesn't have the High temp problem with my SSD like this one has so fingers crossed

I can clone a windows 10 from my own computer onto this one to see if there is any difference, It doesn't have the High temp problem with my SSD like this one has so fingers crossed
You're not supposed to clone windows between different computers.
This can result in various issues (unless hardware of both computers is identical):
different BIOS settings can prevent boot,​
incompatible drivers can cause bsods, crashes and bad performance,​
possible windows activation issues.​
BTW - what motherboard are you using?
Is there a high power graphics card installed in the system?
That can cause elevated temperatures on SSD.

Apr 26, 2022
You're not supposed to clone windows between different computers.
This can result in various issues (unless hardware of both computers is identical):
different BIOS settings can prevent boot,​
incompatible drivers can cause bsods, crashes and bad performance,​
possible windows activation issues.​
BTW - what motherboard are you using?
Is there a high power graphics card installed in the system?
That can cause elevated temperatures on SSD.
it's a laptop with an rtx 2080 in it, also a i9 9900k cpu
but again rising temp when ssd is not in use though

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you have data that you absolutely must have, and cannot replace, cloning is kinda pointless and often not worth the headaches. Windows is free, cloning your windows to someone else's pc is not legal if your copy is registered.

Better to just diskpart the drive, install a fresh copy of windows from USB and let windows discover and link all necessary associations. Don't put anything Intel on there from mobo software other than possibly the network/sata/pcie drives.

Apr 26, 2022
Unless you have data that you absolutely must have, and cannot replace, cloning is kinda pointless and often not worth the headaches. Windows is free, cloning your windows to someone else's pc is not legal if your copy is registered.

Better to just diskpart the drive, install a fresh copy of windows from USB and let windows discover and link all necessary associations. Don't put anything Intel on there from mobo software other than possibly the network/sata/pcie drives.
ah i see
good thing i didn't do that lol
I got a windows 10 installation on usb so I should be good to go from there

Apr 26, 2022
No luck with new windows 10 install but I think it might have been uninstalled by mistake, there's an option called add new legacy hardware option in device manager that has IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers listed but is asking me for the drivers ^_^'

after installing easy driver I found out that it looks like I need an intel R 300 series chipset family SATA AHCI controller, I wanted to download and install it but it seems like easy driver won't let me, know of any good free driver updating programs by any chance?

sorry If im asking too much, this is the first time I had to deal with this sort of thing and I don't want to mess it up.