News Samsung Fab Workers Leak Confidential Data While Using ChatGPT

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
How bad are their software developers that ChatGPT can be used to fix the code? I've played around with ChatGPT code generation, while decent, it will easily miss things that will cause problems. If ChatGPT is fixing their code, that is a very scary sign of the state of it.

Reactions: KyaraM
Apr 3, 2023
How bad are their software developers that ChatGPT can be used to fix the code? I've played around with ChatGPT code generation, while decent, it will easily miss things that will cause problems. If ChatGPT is fixing their code, that is a very scary sign of the state of it.
Where did it say that chatGPT actually fixed the code? I couldn't see that information. Just trying to fix code will ofc automatically import the code. I think you are jumping to a false conclusion. The tone is somewhat aggressive. Do you not like Samsung and likes to point a finger against the company?

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Where did it say that chatGPT actually fixed the code? I couldn't see that information. Just trying to fix code will ofc automatically import the code. I think you are jumping to a false conclusion. The tone is somewhat aggressive. Do you not like Samsung and likes to point a finger against the company?

From the article

In one case, a Samsung Semiconductor employee submitted source code of a proprietary program to ChatGPT to fix errors, which essentially disclosed the code of a top-secret application to an artificial intelligence run by an external company.

Reactions: KyaraM and PEnns

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
One would think that IT-engineers would be aware of basic rules on how to protect themselves and their company from data leakage.
What were they thinking?
Someone at OpenAI could make a fortune by selling such information to the next best bidder.

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
While Samsung send their engineers on security courses and boost their internal rules, they better also make sure no one is using the "advanced" spell checker in anything Chrome based as that means edited text being send out to Google or whom ever runs the advanced spell checker engine.

Reactions: KyaraM and ottonis

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Good for Italy ^^

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65139406
ChatGPT banned in Italy

German regulators said today they might block ChatGPT too.

ChatGPT is a privacy and plagiarism nightmare.

There will be billion $ class action lawsuits against any business using ChatGPT.

Since no user or entity has agreed that ChatGPT could just take and copy their data, ChatGPT will lose in every court case.

893×509 jpg
ohhoho.jpg

1107×364 jpg
104,1 kB

kjnbkjn.jpg

Last edited:

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
For this to happen, one would need to prove that ChatGPT has taken data from specific sources, which will be might impossible to do.
It's not that difficult to prove since valuable data has unique identifiers attached to it, be it private, financial, research, etc.

It might be hard to prove ChatGPT ripped off your novel, but it won't be hard to prove ChatGPT has specific data on someone it wasn't allowed to collect. Note that EU legislation like GDPR has rules not only pertaining to the reproduction of private data, but also collection and physical storage location.

At the end of the day, ChatGPT has nothing to do with "AI". It is a brute force algorithm that rips off everything it can find online. Since ChatGPT collects data on a massive scale, OpenAI, nor Microsoft, can stop it from collecting sensitive data, since ChatGPT has no idea what it is collecting. That leaves Microsoft and Google vulnerable to mass class action lawsuits, and since these are juicy billion $ companies, it is just a matter of time before the lawsuits start.

"First, the method used by OpenAI to collect the data ChatGPT is based on needs to be fully disclosed by the generative AI firm, claims Alexander Hanff, member of the European Data Protection Board's (EDPB) support pool of experts. "If OpenAI obtained its training data through trawling the internet, it’s unlawful. Just because something is online doesn't mean it's legal to take it." he added.

-infosecurity

818×306 jpg
Cpture.jpg

Last edited:

Timmy!

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I don't see how this is any different to just using an OS (e.g. Windows) or online mail service (e.g. Google). The companies which provide these services would have the ability to monitor everything you do with them or in them. Such data would be invaluable to Microsoft and Meta and would give them a huge boost in their business and investments.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't see how this is any different to just using an OS (e.g. Windows) or online mail service (e.g. Google). The companies which provide these services would have the ability to monitor everything you do with them or in them. Such data would be invaluable to Microsoft and Meta and would give them a huge boost in their business and investments.
"would have the ability"

No.

This is akin to a Samsung employee emailing a genius research dept at Microsoft their upcoming PowerPoint presentation, and asking "Can you make this better?"
Said powerpoint includes a lot of internal corporate details.

Reactions: ottonis and KyaraM

Timmy!

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
"would have the ability"

No.

This is akin to a Samsung employee emailing a genius research dept at Microsoft their upcoming PowerPoint presentation, and asking "Can you make this better?"
Said powerpoint includes a lot of internal corporate details.

Edward Snowden. Government laws around the world to have personal data available to them from the users of tech products and services. Did hear that Germany was thinking about introducing manual typewriters in government work to bypass US surveillance. I don't see how AI services gaining access to confidential corporate information is any different to what I said in my last post.

USAFRet

Titan
Edward Snowden. Government laws around the world to have personal data available to them from the users of tech products and services. Did hear that Germany was thinking about introducing manual typewriters in government work to bypass US surveillance. I don't see how AI services gaining access to confidential corporate information is any different to what I said in my last post.
Government actions are different than Microsoft/Google actions.

D

Deleted member 431422

ChatGPT definitely doesn't like talking about that one time it was fooled to create Win95 serial key :D
It disconnected twice when I asked it about it.

D

Deleted member 14196

Hey chat GTP how can I be stupid? Hey wire tap how can I give away all my corporate secrets?

this sheer lunacy of all this makes me sick

Timmy!

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Government actions are different than Microsoft/Google actions.

Governments don't control this information. It's the difference between Microsoft and Google having surveillance over user information and them sharing it with the government. My point is that I don't think it is any better if these corporations don't share this information with governments. So, I'd want something like GDPR to be just the starting point of user rights, not the end point.

Corporations like Google purport to own or have rights over anything you place with them. That's not ideal. Given their corporate interests, I wouldn't view AI by Microsoft or Alphabet as somehow distinct from their ongoing efforts to monetise their users. Their users create the value, which these corporations get for free and sell back to them. I'm not sure that what society gets back from this deal is as much as what these companies get in their offshore bank accounts, where they don't pay tax on it.