Samsung Fights VR's Screen Door Effect, Doubles PPI With HMD Odyssey+

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
I wonder if they really implemented it on the display level or optics level. My concern is with the loss of sharpness and objects looking blurry-ish, especially if they did this with optics tricks. After all you can blur out the pixels on some VR headsets by reducing the sharpness already, which technically does what they described - you just end up with an image that looks like you're having horrible eyesight issues. I really hope they came up with a better solution, as "dispersing" the image coming from individual pixels just sounds like reducing the sharpness of individual pixels and somehow doesn't sound that good to me unless convinced otherwise. As in, I'd have to see it or see a bunch of reviews clarifying the image doesn't look like potato before I'd buy it.

claychilde

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Yet another company using detestable Fresnels - defeats the whole object of improving the display when you've still got lens-flares and ring-ghosting. I'll never purchase another HMD with Fresnel lenses.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
This is horrible news. It sounds like a diffusion layer to me, Razer did it on their HDK2. In that case it was a textured plastic blurring film stuck right to the LCDs, it blurs the entire picture and reduces sharpness to unacceptable levels. There are actually reddit posts with instructions on how to remove it from the HDK2 with solvents and blades, removing it improves the experience. Why not work on a gen 2 headset instead of ruining your existing gen 1.5 Samsung?

Gh0stWalker

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
A long time ago now I built the prototype cardboard AR headset - it fitted an iPad as well as an iPhone, and has excellent FOV, suffers only slightly from screen door, has no lodding issues, has no lag issues, and does not use fresnel lenses... and is way more versatile than just about every other AR headset around - all the commercial types keep making the same mistakes! Probably because they are all copying each other, and management fails down... And with rudimentary optics changes I can take the immersivity to way beyond the state of the art today. If I had access to decent optical fab. equipment I could take FOV to beyond human. But, that aint gonna happen is it?

Giroro

Splendid
I wish VR headset manufacturers would stop using Samsung's horrible pentile displays, since the way they fake higher pixel densities makes the GPU load increase exponentially. It's a night and day difference when you compare a screen with all 3 RGB subpixels to Samsung's alternating 2.

Speaking of complaining about inferior screens and pixels, I also really hate that the Google Pixel 3 cropped away the corners of its screen to round them off for no reason. It makes the screens more expensive, and objectively worse.