Review Samsung Galaxy Book S Review: The First Intel Lakefield Laptop

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
You guys need to re-do the test. Notebookcheck got 600 points for the Cinebench R20 bench. That's double what you are getting.

I'll bet if Samsung put in a Ryzen processor, this would've been significantly better performance with a similar amount of battery life.

The chip runs at 5W. Plus it has a much smaller footprint. It'll be a larger/heavier device. Yes, for the price Ryzen is better but it won't be the same.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
Jul 21, 2020
Since this is first of it's kind x86 CPU, performance/battery time might be improved with OS and app updates but they need to lower the price. eUFS storage (lack of NVM) and 8GB RAM limit is pretty disappointing though.

The chip runs at 5W. Plus it has a much smaller footprint. It'll be a larger/heavier device. Yes, for the price Ryzen is better but it won't be the same.
Agreed. I just don't see how this wasn't possible without bit.LITTLE from Intel. I feel like they literally already have extremely low power parts that can get just as much performance in a similar 5w package. I'm not well versed on die sizes and how they affect the engineering required for the profile of a mobile device, but for a small laptop like this, I can't see how a normal x86 processor can't be substituted in here instead for a cheaper overall device with similar characteristics. It's like Intel releasing their 10nm chips that are "better" than their 14nm chips in terms of technology, but fall short of expectations. This first iteration of big.LITTLE and Lakefield leaves me unconvinced of the technology Intel has used here but maybe their next iterations will be more convincing.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel claimed 2.5mW standby power for Lakefield, which was provided by the unique 22FFL io chiplet processing. This parameter was required by MIcrosoft for their Surface Neo product. I suspect it is important for other always-connected designs. Perhaps we'll get a benchmark that measures it.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
It will be more meaningful to test it with the Galaxy Book running the Qualcomm SOC to understand the difference in performance, thermals and battery life. As expected, despite the low power processor, Intel is not quite there yet when competing with the likes of ARM SOC over battery endurance. Even if Lakefield is faster, I don't expect it to be meaningfully faster to the point that the target users will feel a significant difference. The target audience for this sort of laptops are more for people on the go, and needs a laptop for light work, i.e. surfing net, word processing, etc. Running an intensive work is unlikely the use case.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I'll bet if Samsung put in a Ryzen processor, this would've been significantly better performance with a similar amount of battery life.
I don't disagree and I think it is possible. However the target audience for this laptop is likely people who travels a lot and just needs a laptop that can provide a solid battery life while maintaining a very thin and light form. Performance is likely to be secondary for this target audience.

In any case, I don't believe they will sell many units of this.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
I don't disagree and I think it is possible. However the target audience for this laptop is likely people who travels a lot and just needs a laptop that can provide a solid battery life while maintaining a very thin and light form. Performance is likely to be secondary for this target audience.

In any case, I don't believe they will sell many units of this.
I definitely see Intel's logic in releasing a processor like this. I guess I'm just expecting too much from a first gen technology. Perhaps once it is more mature, we will see the benefits of big.LITTLE more in x86, but from this first lakefield view, I can't help but be a little let down.