Samsung Galaxy Gear Tops 30% Return Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
So they launch a device that is compatible with almost nothing, it's heavy, has poor battery life, and on top of that it's ugly. What were they expecting?

This tech definitely has drawbacks. It won't be for everyone, and is not surprising it has a high return rate. You'll be force to go Bluetooth or go speaker phone. That in of itself is problematic for most, I imagine.

finder

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
it's just samsung - wasting loads of cash on developing and marketing just to keep their revenues coming, in a worst case their company will be crowned as pioneer, in the best - market leader

It surprises me that people return it because it means they bought it on the first place. One quick research would have prevented that decision. Currently, this device is clearly more trouble than anything else.

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013
ITS too expensive...and im guessing a big chunk of the remainder of the people return it after finding out it only works with samsung phones.

Better yet, only galaxy S4 etc not even S3...dont know if this is still actual right now, but nevertheless...why was it even actual.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Samsung needs to get rid of their useless "reps" in BestBuy stores. The "reps" at my local store have no idea what Samsung even sells aside from TVs and smartphones.

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
My "obsolete" watch lasts 36 hours on a full wind, and then winds itself if I wear it. Sad that the most basic function of the Galaxy Gear is eclipsed by 18th century technology.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Not sure if this is them being a pioneer. I guess in the literal way yea but this has largely been looked at in the industry as them rushing to market with a product to try and beat Apple to the market with the rumors iWatch. Problem is that it is just a rumor. There has not been an official announcement. This was just bad strategy on their part. Now they have opened the market up and compu watches are coming out of the wood works. Until someone does it in a way that everyone expects the entire market will remain very niche and not go anywhere.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Does it have Bluetooth?

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
The main reason I wont get it is because of the price. 300 bones is quite a bit for a watch that doesn't offer much accept syncing to a device that is usually within hands reach anyways. If the watch was 100 - 150, it'd be more practical as an accessory to the phone but with it being as expensive as a tablet, it just seems like they're gouging the consumer at this point.

That said, I did take my Note III to best buy and sync to one of the watches for a test run. It has a "neat factor" to it but nothing that said to drop 300 on it.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hey Samsung: What you should be looking for is a high rate of return on your investment; not a high rate of return of your products.

But seriously; people actually wanted to buy these in the first place?

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Spaceballs, I can't comment on the Ford issue or concerning Tom's coverage of the XBOX 360's defective rate, but from NBC to Gamespot to IGN, the defect rate of the XBOX 360 was covered *copiously* by the American media for the first several years of the system's life when it was a significant issue.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I have the gear. Could not live without it. But you need to understand it was really designed forr the note 3 and the battery life can only last a max of 2 and half days or 1 day with very heavy use. Charging is easy because u just put it in a clam shell and thats it. No pluggin in , nothing. For the price, the watch is good.

I suspect this is something they felt they had to get to market first to avoid another $1 billion infringement decision against them in the future. The judge specifically prohibited them from showing the jury touchscreen phone prototypes they were working on before the iPhone (because they missed a filing deadline). That's why the Samsung attorney said "what's the point of even having this trial?" if that evidence were disallowed. So they needed to protect themselves in a way that was judge-proof and technicality-proof. If they're first to market, that's incontrovertible.

If you think about it, computers are going to continue to get smaller. For a while (since the PDA days, before the iPhone) I've been saying that your PC was going to shrink down to something you can carry around in your pocket. If you project it even further into the future, your PC is going to shrink down to something you can strap to your wrist or wear as a ring. So while the first attempts may be clumsy and not very impressive, this is the direction PCs will be going in the coming decades.

(Yes I know the screen is too small. Fortunately people have been working on transmitting the screen contents to a remote display over wifi or widi. My prediction is that in the future, your PC will be in your pocket or on your wrist, and your "tablet" will just be a display which connects to it wirelessly. Your "laptop" will just be a display and keyboard which connect to it wirelessly.)

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Samsung is far from being the first to market with a smart watch. They were beat by Sony and several Chinese companies by a couple years. This is simply another case of Samsung copying other companies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Samsung still isn't safe, as they're not the first to produce or market a smart watch. They're just the most expensive. I'm sure if Sony looked hard enough, they could probably find somewhere that Samsung infringed on one of their patents this go round....

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
YaHoo!
Can't wait till these show up a Big Lots!

Nah it really holds no interest for me.

Maybe if the tiny screen could flip up it would be worth the eye strain to watch a video on it...Hmmm...Still no.

g-unit1111

Titan
It's quite possibly the most ridiculous piece of technology that's ever been released. It only works with one phone (Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note) and it really does nothing. It's probably the biggest waste of $299 since the Nintendo Virtual Boy. You can use it to dial your phone or advance to the next track on the album you're listening to. Is it really that big of a hassle to take your phone out of your pocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.