Samsung Galaxy Note5 Phablet: Hands-On Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
It would be funny if when they release the S7 they put back the removable storage and/or removable battery. Its essentially giving a huge middle finger to everyone who brought the S6.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
It would be funny if when they release the S7 they put back the removable storage and/or removable battery. Its essentially giving a huge middle finger to everyone who brought the S6.

Well if they were foolish enough to upgrade to the S6/Note 5 from previous devices the joke should be on them.

Particularly for non-native English speakers, please use the proper expression "huge phone" rather than believe you have formed a word by putting the letters "p," h," "a," "b," "l," "e," and "t" together as if they were a word.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Samsung is just following the trend of disposable smartphones, couple of years from now they want you to buy the next phone S8 Edge+Note, the removable battery of sd slot is not a big issue for me

^Nailed; they want to keep people buying, and buying, and buying, and buying some more. Planned obsolescence like that (e.g. non-user-replaceable batteries) is a deal-breaker for me, no matter how otherwise good a device is.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Samsung charges $100 to step up from 32GB to 64GB, yet you can buy 32GB SD on Amazon for $14ish. And if the phone crashes hard, you can pull the battery. Personally, I take my SD out of my Note 4 and load it up with movies before I go to the gym. Also emulator ROMs for when I want to do some gaming. My wife left hers in the hot car and we thought the phone was done for. Turns out, I just needed to replace the battery (must have cooked it). Samsung is becoming Apple and trying to hold shiny sleek design in our faces and price gouge us on what counts - SD and user removable battery.

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
So Apple is any better with their lame attempt next month with the same ole 6S naming and hardware design with a tiny speed bump?

The thing isn't that Apple is any better, its that Samsung WERE better but saw the huge profit Apple were making and wanting part of that pie.

Unfortunately I think they will find they alienated the majority of people who bought the Note line by doing this and so their profit will slip even further than they were before.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Pass. They changed for critics. When it was there fans that drove them so high. Now there going down. I wonder why, oh right you just pissed off more then 90% of those who bought your phone. Way to go, i mind as well buy a iphone its the same thing now.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It amazes me that no one who reads tech blogs these days has any tech knowhow. I guess the nerd of 2015 is the person who trolls hardest, not the one who actually bothers to read up on technology. The main reasons Samsung is ditching legacy eMMC based SD cards are because they slow down the performance on a phone using UFS storage, leading to increased battery draining and stability issues.
But I guess that's a sign of the times in general. Trolls and haters are taking over the internet, dumbing down the human race a little bit more every day.

Gary Brandon

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
"On the Note 4, this menu would pop up when you removed the Pen from its slot, and on demand by pressing a button on the phone. However, it would quickly disappear, sometimes not giving you enough time to select an option."

Has the author of this article ever even used a Note 4? For one thing, the button to call up the Air Command menu is on the S Pen, not the phone. For another, in all the time I've used my Note 4, I've never had the menu close on me before I had "enough time to select an option". In fact it's never closed on me. It only goes away if you put the S Pen back in, select something other than the menu, or turn off the display.

alex davies

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
"On the Note 4, this menu would pop up when you removed the Pen from its slot, and on demand by pressing a button on the phone. However, it would quickly disappear, sometimes not giving you enough time to select an option."

Has the author of this article ever even used a Note 4? For one thing, the button to call up the Air Command menu is on the S Pen, not the phone. For another, in all the time I've used my Note 4, I've never had the menu close on me before I had "enough time to select an option". In fact it's never closed on me. It only goes away if you put the S Pen back in, select something other than the menu, or turn off the display.

I did mean to say "button on the S Pen", so will correct that. As a former Note 4 owner, I should know better, but I very rarely used the S Pen, so my memories were a big foggy when it came to the Air Command menu. I will update that section.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Slow down the performance?
The external storage is just for reading. Its better for some to just load up an SD card with movies and music and pop it into the phone rather than being charged an arm and a leg for the same amount of storage.

128GB UHS1 Micro SD card is only ~$60 on Amazon, why should Samsung charge ~$100 for a storage increase from 32GB to 64GB.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Slow down the performance?
The external storage is just for reading. Its better for some to just load up an SD card with movies and music and pop it into the phone rather than being charged an arm and a leg for the same amount of storage.

128GB UHS1 Micro SD card is only ~$60 on Amazon, why should Samsung charge ~$100 for a storage increase from 32GB to 64GB.

First of all, the slow reading performance on SD cards is one of the main drawbacks. Especially random access of small app data. Second, is the external storage just for reading? How does the apps, data and everything else you end up putting there get there in the first place? If you enable SD access for apps, they will store all sorts of s**t there, and that kills the performance on your phone.

A 2 TB mechanical disk costs the same as a 128 GB SSD, so what's your point? Slow storage is cheap. Anything else would be unsellable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS