Samsung Galaxy S4 Benchmark Confirms Eight Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Waiting on Galaxy Note 3 news with its 6.3 inch screen, 8 core cpu, 1920 x 1080p screen to die for. My Note 1 is becoming old news now.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Other rumored features of the Galaxy S8 include an eight-core Mali-T888 GPU, 8.88-inch SuperAMOLED full HD display, at least 8 GB of RAM, a rear 8-megapixel camera and a front-facing 1.8-megapixel front facing snapper.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]....and has an amazing 23 minutes of battery time. Seriously, do consumers really need that many cores?[/citation]

Not only that, but does anything actually use them? Outside of a few select markets in Pc software I don't think anything else uses 8 cores, and you won't be running that software on your android phone.

So what is the point? I can understand technology needs to advance, but how about we get our batteries advanced before the CPU (Which already had as many cores) Or maybe lower power higher performance CPU/GPUs and ram? And lower power hungry screens too, those AMOLED I'm sure are not very power efficient.

I like my phone to be capable don't get me wrong, but it seems to me instead of stuffing in more cores at the same speed but greater power needs, we need to first make a battery to power them for longer then 8 hours at full use. (Or less)

My SII suits me fine right now, but when it dies, or I need a new one, I'd like to get one that will have power to make it through the workday, preferably a lot longer then that. Maybe they let you toggle off cores or something I don't know.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]nice to hear but honestly the market is pretty full of android phones. would like to see some ubuntu phone products[/citation]

The developer of Ubuntu is going to have a long uphill battle against Google... Even Microsoft is performing somewhat poorly against Apple and Google despite devoting its full attention.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]....and has an amazing 23 minutes of battery time. Seriously, do consumers really need that many cores?[/citation]
People don't "need" smartphones at all, they "want" them
This phone and everything about it falls into the "want" category

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Waiting on Galaxy Note 3 news with its 6.3 inch screen, 8 core cpu, 1920 x 1080p screen to die for. My Note 1 is becoming old news now.[/citation]
only for android that you need that kind of power...every other OSs run just fine with 2 core.

[citation][nom]ichigokunbaka[/nom]cant wait to run ultimate edition 3.5 on this hardware http://ultimateedition.info/[/citation]
Errr, except that Ultimate Edition is x86 only. So you'll be waiting a VERY long time.

[citation][nom]IAmVortigaunt[/nom]Anyone else think it looks like a cross between the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini?[/citation]
That "photo" is a rendering, and an old one at that. Nobody has a picture of the actual phone yet. They flashed the same rendering before the SGS3 came out, and it turned out to be totally different.
[citation][nom]jakes69[/nom]only for android that you need that kind of power...every other OSs run just fine with 2 core.[/citation]
My old Nexus S disagrees with you, running JB perfectly smooth on >2 yo hardware. That goes to show that you don't NEED that kind of power.... but it's nice to have it, nonetheless.
A bit of research goes a long way...

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Actually, the SOC contains one 4-core A15 cpu and another 4-core A7 cpu whereas the A15 core is used for performance and the A7 for power savings. It is not one whole 8-core CPU.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]People don't "need" smartphones at all, they "want" them...This phone and everything about it falls into the "want" category[/citation]
I finally got my first smart phone in December after years of putting it off, and it makes my world so much better of a place! It replaces my laptop, my work laptop, gps, mp3 player, kindle, camera, video camera, and phone all in one nice tiny capable package. I still have a house cluttered with all of these devices, but if I find I do not use them in the next few months then I am going to sell them off, or find good homes for them among my friends.
And for running a business where social media and email is such a huge part of your work? You absolutely need a smart phone! I work at a nonprofit, and where I use to have serious problems struggling with communication and organization, and now when people need me (or I need them) the lines of communication are open because I have a dozen ways to get hold of just about anyone on my team.

All that said; if you are not running a business... well, then it is just really really really nice to have, and not such a necessity.

G

An article that mentions benchmarks but doesn't give any actual benchmark results. Seriously?

+1

so what software uses 8 cores?
I mean seriously! I have an i7 in my PC and there are very few times that I actually have a load on all 8 cores, and typically it is only on 2-4 of them. The reason? Most software is not complicated enough to require more than 4 cores. In fact, most software uses a grand 1 core because oporations typically need to be done in order, so you can only do things 1 at a time.
Multi-tasking perhaps? Well, as previously stated, on my PC, where I multitask all of the time, I am not normally using more than 4 cores... if I am running that kind of load on my phone then there is something seriously wrong.
big.LITTLE perhaps? Well, maybe, but I thought the way that worked it would still only show up as a quad core device, and just switch between the little and the big cores depending on workload. That is the only practical workload I can think of for anything more than a quad core on a phone... and even then I think that nVidia's approach of have a single little core for small workloads, and 4 larger cores for big workloads seems like more of a better solution for phones.

G

Majority of PCs don't even use 8 cores, let alone mobile phones... This is completely useless.

Now go ahead, vote my comment down for telling the truth, you know you want to.

G

Everybody here seems rather confused about this design, it has been stated time and time again that this SoC uses four pairs of one powerful A15 core and one efficient A7 core. Each pair can only run the A7 or A15 core at one time. No more than four cores are ever in use at one time.

For all the people claiming it will have terrible battery life or that no one needs 8 cores you are missing the point of the design. This SoC will have as much power as all the other quadcore A15 designs like Tegra 4 while having much better battery life under most situations. It offers the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.