Samsung Galaxy S4 Gets Early Teardown

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I just hope the US market doesn't get shafted again when it comes to the CPU like they did with the Samsung Galaxy S3. Yes, I know a dual-core is "good enough" to do pretty much everything, but they marketed the S3 as having a beastly quad-core, and then gave the US market a dual-core, albeit with 2 GB of RAM. Now that we've been hearing about the S4 having a new 4+4 "octa-core" design for so many months generating so much interest for the phone and its potential, it would be extremely disappointing to see it being sold with "only" a quad-core (just like all of its competition) here in the US.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]hunshiki[/nom]What? Note 2 comes with 3100mAH and it's removable..[/citation]
The Note 2 is also much larger and therefore has the space and the NEED for a much larger battery.

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
[citation][nom]tarzan2001[/nom]The Note 2 is also much larger and therefore has the space and the NEED for a much larger battery.[/citation]

I meant the article itself:
...battery that is removable, which completely erases the argument that sealed batteries lead to larger capacities.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The USA is not the largest market for cellphones, that is why. We don't have the fastest or cheapest phone or Internet service. There are far more models available everywhere else in the world, but here. Like in the old FeaturePhone era, Sony would have about 8-10 current phone models available in the USA. Go to UK or Europe in general, you would have over 40 to choose from.

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Shafted? The US Galaxy S3 has a dual core Cortex-A15, while the international has a quad core Cortex-A9. They're roughly equal in performance, but the dual (Scorpion Snapdragon) has the LTE chip embedded into the SOC, as well as having asynchronous processors. I prefer dual over the quad any day.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I know who's getting the quad core....
US and Canada..... AGAIN FOR F'K SAKE...
Kind of obvious... The worlds shittiest networks getting the shaft again.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]The worlds shittiest networks getting the shaft again.[/citation]

Hahaha! You really don't know about world, man.

And well, even if USA and Canada is quetting a Quad core S4, it will be plenty for any task. I know there are people that always want the best, but still I don't see how an average man can max out and make struggles the S3 not yet the S4.

Just stay chill...

lp231

Splendid
Quad Core for the US is everyone ain't willing to spend more than $100 and expect to get a product that's worth $600. If they spend too much, then all they do is bit*h and whine. Samsung should release both versions and let the consumer decide what they want. If someone is willing to spend extra for the 8 core, then let them have the 8 core, don't let them get shafted just because others aren't willing to spend the extra money.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Hmm... If the 8-core version is available in the US it may be time for me to sell the Nexus 4 and upgrade to this. No memory expansion in the Nexus 4 severely limits my music library(no I don't want to stream from cloud)

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kj3639[/nom]Shafted? The US Galaxy S3 has a dual core Cortex-A15, while the international has a quad core Cortex-A9. They're roughly equal in performance, but the dual (Scorpion Snapdragon) has the LTE chip embedded into the SOC, as well as having asynchronous processors. I prefer dual over the quad any day.[/citation]
The US Galaxy S3 comes with a dual core Snapdragon S4. The Krait core isn't a Cortex-A15.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]I know who's getting the quad core....US and Canada..... AGAIN FOR F'K SAKE...Kind of obvious... The worlds shittiest networks getting the shaft again.[/citation]

That's cause of our telecom oligarchy. The quad-core will be plenty fast. Their Octacore is really just a quad core for performance, and a low-powered quad-core for menial tasks

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]That's cause of our telecom oligarchy. The quad-core will be plenty fast. Their Octacore is really just a quad core for performance, and a low-powered quad-core for menial tasks[/citation]

What? It's because of LTE concerns. The Exynos doesn't have LTE on the die, the Snapdragon does. The Note 2 in the US has a seperate LTE modem that isn't on die, but it can do that because of the extra size and battery.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
only a 2600 mAh battery....android phones have so much crap running in the background that the batteries drain really fast....before you know it you have to recharge the damn thing every 30 min

redeemer

Distinguished
The 600 series processor is fast enough the Exynos Octo is just a gimmick, correct me if I am wrong its is still essential a quad core so it cannot use all 8 cores at the same time.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
There's a bid misconception that a quad core is always faster than a duo core, which is not true. Plus what good is an 8-core without the software to utilize it?

[citation][nom]redeemer[/nom]The 600 series processor is fast enough the Exynos Octo is just a gimmick, correct me if I am wrong its is still essential a quad core so it cannot use all 8 cores at the same time.[/citation]

big.LITTLE can use all eight cores at once, but it's really two quad core CPUs on one die where the second quad core altogether is maybe as powerful as one of the cores in the better quad core CPU. However, IIRC, Samsung will only use the second, weaker and lower power quad core kinda like how Nvidia uses their fifth low power core in Tegra 3. It'll probably be something like that each core of the weaker CPU will be used as a very low power state of the more powerful CPU. Basically, yes, it's essentially a quad core, but it can be slightly more complicated than that.

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]only a 2600 mAh battery....android phones have so much crap running in the background that the batteries drain really fast....before you know it you have to recharge the damn thing every 30 min[/citation]

That is such utter BS that even if I didn't already know from past experience that your an Apple fan or at least an Android hater, I'd be convinced that you are.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I just hope the European version gets to be dual sim if that would be the case it would be a no contest buy for me against the rest az it stands now im inclined twords Sony. They at least respect the idea of a public license unlike Samsung or HTC.

wasta pyar da

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]only a 2600 mAh battery....android phones have so much crap running in the background that the batteries drain really fast....before you know it you have to recharge the damn thing every 30 min[/citation]
I have a Galaxy S2 on a 1650mAh battery since 2011. The battery still lasts me 1 day 6 hours before a recharge. :)

Wow... Your ignorance in this matter really shines. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.