Samsung Galaxy S5 Could Pack 64-bit Chip, 16-MP Camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnPMyers

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The *real* advantage of using 64bit processors, in this case, is the ARM architecture as them designed with twice the number of registers compared to the 32bit, and they're all twice as wide (obviously). Also, this helps ARM in it's server agenda. By getting 64bit CPUs in smartphones, apps will already exist for the 64bit ARM server chips expected at the end of next year.

Another thing 64bit does over 32bit is it offers a datapath 2x wider. These improvements alone, without changing the amount of RAM, will show very noticeable speed improvements.

Something else you might like to know not mentioned in the original article is the Exynos 6 is expected to be 14nm, which means huge power savings.

Baldarhion

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
The point for 64 bits ARM CPU is also a matter of instructions sets. Yes, it allows more memory management but the new instructions set are really great when about to speak of software improvements.

More memory is also great. Imagine that with 4 GO, much more apps can be loaded in memory. Result: you can access to the camera in a snap. Swap between apps is also improved.

So, yes 64 bits cpu really matters ;)

halogen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
cool joke? why on earth do you want a heavy appl on iphone ?? to make its battery die in few hours ,oohhh apple freak leading the edge in hallucinating..while other brands look for more power apple only look for thinner phones

andruszko

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Oh, a faster cpu? Cool. How about putting some better radios in so I can finally get reception with their crap phones? Going to have to stick with motorola...as nice as these bonus features are, I need a phone that actually works as a phone as well.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Why not look up ABI? I see you're conveniently overlooking my mention of it.

I know exactly what a developer wants with 64bit since I've been coding for almost 30 years now (and I currently code for iOS and also work with Android).

All code are made reusable? That's as stupid as saying 64bit is only good for memory addressing. You're two for two. Want to go for the strike out?

I'm still amazed that Tom's was once a place where people would discuss things like CPU or GPU architectures and the benefits of AMD vs Intel or Nvidua vs ATI. Nowadays it seems nobody wants to talk tech anymore - they just throw logic out the window so they can bad Apple. Pathetic.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Can I hire you? You'd be great at brainstorming new ideas for the future with you fantastic attitude. /S

Hey light bulb, do you know anything about the history of computing? Everything we do on our phones/tablets were once only possible on PC's. And things we do on our PC's were once only possible on expensive workstations/supercomputers. As devices have gotten more powerful applications that were previously for the privileged are now available to all. The next step in this evolution is taking features that only PC's could do and adding them to mobile devices.

People with vision see this and are planning for it. The rest sit around and whine about it.

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
The funniest comment I read on here was some guy saying Samsung makes the highest quality phones on the market today. LOL... I want some of what he's smoking. I guess if fake chrome and cheap plastic phones that actually bend and flex when you use them is what you consider QUALITY. then more power to you. It's pretty but it's not quality.. not by a long shot.

Baldarhion

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
@halogen : No, when an app is iddling, no cpu ressources are involved (no battery loss... Except for the ram and in this case, no matter you have 1 or 34 apps. The amount of energy is the same.)

Baldarhion

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
@halogen : No, when an app is iddling, no cpu ressources are involved (no battery loss... Except for the ram and in this case, no matter you have 1 or 34 apps. The amount of energy is the same.)

Amithlon

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I have a PC, i7-2600K water cooled (custom external cooler with 4 fans), @4.8GHz, 16GB of DDR2133 CL9 pushed to 2400MHz, 32TB of HDD, 500GB of SSD , Blu-ray burner, twin tuner digital TV card, Fractal design define XL V3, 1Kw (1,000watt) psu, NVidia GTX-680 (soon 780Ti), dual 24" monitors, (soon 3), scanner , 7.1 logitech surround sound (soon to be pioneer decoder and speakers), Hi quality 32 bit 384KHz audio DAC and custom silver/copper USB DAC cable, sennheiser 600's for real music and a set of 5.1's for movies and games. mainboard is ASRock extreme 6 gen 3.
As for phone Galaxy S3 +32GB microSD card, blackberry playbook tablet, rest of family has ipads, samsung tab2 10.1, iphones, galaxy S2..........
I don't care as long as it works, and am finding the S3 is starting to become my HUB for contact and a lot more now, oh, i have a real low light camera, works to about 1 microlux, it's a home built peltier cooled CCD (not rubbish CMOS sensor), cooled to -50C and a noise of around 0.02 electron/second.

Status
Not open for further replies.