Samsung Galaxy S5 Performance Preview: First Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Just to add that it has now a better (and more responsive) gesture sensor, compared with its predecessor, and a color (or ambient light) sensor that, not only adjust the backlighting, but also the color in different ambient light cases.I hope you did more research on other features, like these... to bring about more comparison and benchmark from its former design.

5tormy

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I hope Samsung drives Apple to make their next iPhone with AC wireless and a higher MP camera. At least.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I hope Samsung drives Apple to make their next iPhone with AC wireless and a higher MP camera. At least.
I wish manufactures would start using less MP. What's the purpose of 16MP anyway? They would get better quality by using less pixels that are larger. The sweet spot for this generation would be something like a 12.74MP with a sensor size of 4096x3112. This is the resolution 35mm film typically is scanned to digital as. It gives you the ability to take 4k UHD (8.3MP), 4k DCI (8.8MP), and even allows 4k 4:3 resolution (12.6MP). Anything beyond that is going to get downsampled to one of those resolutions anyway. Instead of increasing the pixel density, stayed at the 13MP the galaxy s4 was and just made the sensor bigger/better.

5tormy

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

As far as I know, iPhones have been stuck with an 8mp camera with maybe slight modifications, for a few years now. I'd be happy with 13.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
As far as I know, iPhones have been stuck with an 8mp camera with maybe slight modifications, for a few years now. I'd be happy with 13.
MO, the iPhone takes some of the best general picture overall. Other devices seem to focus on one aspect the camera then become the best at it. For instance the Galaxy has excels in well lit environments and takes massive images, but doesn't do well in low light conditions. HTC excels in low lit environments, but has a very low 4MP. The iPhone brings a little bit of both worlds.

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Incorrect. They would get better quality by using less pixels that are larger.
If you downsample a higher pixel count image to the same resolution as a lower pixel count image you actually may end up with a /better/ signal to noise ratio.

For most current sensors higher pixel count is to be preferred since you then have both options - greater resolution in good light and less noise (when downsampled) in low light.

InvalidError

Titan

Between two sensors of otherwise identical construction quality, the larger cells have multiple advantages:
- lower proportion of sensor area lost to cell wiring and partitions, which reduces the proportion of lost light and effects of minor sensor imperfections
- larger cell area, which makes it easier to couple light into it and in turn improves sensitivity for low light and fast shutter situations
- higher cell capacitance, which makes individual cells less noisy and gives them a broader dynamic range to simultaneously preserve more details in highlights and shadows - with small sensors, you easily end up with shadows getting washed out in bright scenes and highlights getting clipped to white from over-exposure; often in the same shot

While a higher resolution sensor does give better flexibility using shutter and image processing tricks like multiple exposures for digital integration, the sensor with larger cells would have better raw output quality and dynamic range for all those situations where relying on tricks to enhance image quality is not possible.

alex davies

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Good thing my HTC one m8 scores 20,789 on 3d mark.....
The HTC One M8 cheats in benchmarks, by putting the phone in a special 'high performance mode' when running them. HTC has admitted to this, and Futuremark has de-listed the M8 from 3DMark. Any results you get from testing it are invalid.

7che1004

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
What's the point of benchmarking Android phones when the OS is complete shit? It's like making superman do paper work.
mmhm. Many people who aren't crazy over useless obsessions like that are perfectly fine with TouchWiz, and if you don't like it, don't buy it, or just maybe ROOT THE PHONE!!! OMG!!! THERE WAS SUCH A SOLUTION!!! *gasp*
Good thing my HTC one m8 scores 20,789 on 3d mark.....
Good thing HTC admitted to cheating by purposefully boosting the phone. Of course, to avoid trouble, they decided to make it a phone feature. Which will come in a future update, and we all know how well HTC does when it comes to getting updates out in time. And guess what? When it comes out, everyone will like it at first and probably keep the setting to max performance. Until they realize it'll drain the battery like a vacuum. Your welcome for ruining your day :)
What about battery life ?
It outperformed the GN3. Which. Is. Impressive. I forgot what article it's in, but the GS5 was pitted against many smartphones and tablets, including iOS devices, and the GS5 came in 6th. Losing only to 5 tablets. Which are supposed to have more battery life due to large amounts of available space. Which. Is. Impressive.

5tormy

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Oh I agree, my first smartphone is a 5s and am very impressed with the picture quality. I just want Apple to upgrade the camera, for competition sake.

EDIT: this is interesting: http://www.imore.com/htc-one-m8-vs-iphone-5s-camera-comparison

VENAXIS

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
mmhm. Many people who aren't crazy over useless obsessions like that are perfectly fine with TouchWiz, and if you don't like it, don't buy it, or just maybe ROOT THE PHONE!!! OMG!!! THERE WAS SUCH A SOLUTION!!! *gasp*
I don't believe I mentioned anything about Samsung's TouchWiz or Android's interfaces/themes, which puts your comment right outside the fence. *sigh*

Charlie Pen

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Quote: "it's clear that Samsung's latest flagship phone has what it takes to take the smartphone performance crown, being faster than....... and the iPhone 5s in most tests."

Most tests? Seriously?

Singlecore 5s (by 48%) <<most important stat and Apple with a HUGE margin
Multicore S5 (by 18%, but took 4cores to marginally beat Apple's 2)
Open GL S5 (22% w/ 4cores)
GFXB On 5s/5s (125% and 50%) (S5 12FPS for next gen games...FAIL!)
GFXB Off 5s/tie (18% and tie)

Status
Not open for further replies.