Samsung Gear VR For Galaxy S6, S6 edge Now Available For $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
So what is the point in this for phones? I thought there was already one on the market for the S5, why would you need a separate one for the S6? That is not how you get VR to sell

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This is thing is a failure due to cooling. After using one at a Samsung Tech show demo the Galaxy 6 inside kept overheating and would crash the content. So unless you are playing in an air conditioned room or in the middle of winter this thing will seriously annoy you.

thegreatjombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
@Vlad The Note 4's Gear VR was released last year. If Sammie doesnt upgrade the Note 4's Gear VR to match the changes in the S6 Gear VR release, then it would seem Sammie is indeed abandoning those users. Its probably still on sale just to clear out inventory.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
@Vlad The Note 4's Gear VR was released last year. If Sammie doesnt upgrade the Note 4's Gear VR to match the changes in the S6 Gear VR release, then it would seem Sammie is indeed abandoning those users. Its probably still on sale just to clear out inventory.

I don't think it's quite that simple. They've had to tailor each headset to each handset. That doesn't mean Samsung is "abandoning" anyone, just that there are more options for more phones.

Now, is the above a sound strategy? I don't know, but that's a separate issue.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
To be honest, I don't think the VR headsets are selling well at all. The primary market for VR headset tech is the PC gaming and gaming console consumers. Most smart phone users will just think it's a novelty at most. Market strategy must be focused on where the most profit can be made and not just to impress the very few rich people. I have found that even the most rich people are completely tech stupid. It's the middle and upper class economy population that makes up the majority of all sales profits.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Yeah, the VR headsets are more of a gimmick and are not selling well at all. Not many apps are written for it either. At least it's a selling point for Samsung phones though; which is probably their bigger intent. "Buy a Samsung phone, look at all the things you can do with it over the competition!" should be their slogan.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I disagree--no, I can say with confidence that you are wrong--that these headsets are a gimmick. Have you ever used one?

Look, Gear VR is no Oculus Rift/OSVR/Vive, but it's not a joke. The experience is really something.

For instance, there's a Temple Run-type game. When your character runs over a large bump in the path and drops down, you can feel it in your stomach--like when you're on a roller coaster.

Anyone else tested one out? Back me up here. :)

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

While I'll agree that the experience is pretty good for being 3D like from what I tried in the store, the app support and sales are quite lacking for it still. That is the main reason why I consider it still a gimmick.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I won't disagree with you on that point. (I'd still contest the term "gimmick", but then we're just arguing semantics. ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.