[SOLVED] SAMSUNG HD082GJ Scratching noises

Nov 27, 2019
Hello! Been a while

I have used an old 80GB SAMSUNG HDD for a paging file for my PC as I dont have much RAM. But While I was playing Minecraft, It spun up, started clicking then made this subtle scratching noise. A few minutes later it happened more frequently, now it happens every few seconds. I checked SMART and they are all good. Temps are fine too. It is an old hard drive that has an POH of 5084d 12h. I have a feeling that it is it's time to go. I dont have any data on it but would like to know if I could fix it. If not I understand as hard drives are basicly impossible to fix. It doesnt spin down ever. I have HDD shutdown time to 5 mins

Let me know if I need to upload a recording of audio.

Specs:
Intel Pentium E5700 Dual core @ 3GHz
SAMSUNG HD082GJ
WDC WD3200AAJS-22L7A0
2GB RAM
Gt 520 1GB
250W PSU

ALSO I dont know why but I have to boot off that hard drive to boot into Windows on my good hard drive. I really hope that I can fix that before this thing dies

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019
Those are the sounds of a dying HDD. If you have anything stored on that HDD that you want to keep, now is the time to save elsewhere. Afterward, you should replace the drive.
Yeah I thought so. All I use the hard drive for is a paging file. But I mean it has been used for over 5000 days wich is WOW

bioax

Upstanding
Nov 30, 2019
That scratching sound most likely means your hard drive is failing. If you don't have any important data on there, I wouldn't worry too much. However, if there is some important stuff, I would back it up.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS