Samsung HD502HJ weird "thinking" noise

ofek89

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hey guys, my new rig (3 weeks old) started having a really weird problem yesterday.
The problem is that my HD started making really weird noises, its not clicking or scratching noises, its weird "thinking" sound like he is processing information but compare to the fact that I aint doing anything except of surfing the web or just browsing windows files that just doesnt make any sense since my rig is new and good enough for it not to make those sounds, plus it didnt make those sounds untill yesterday.

Any idea why its happening? because its getting really annoying...
Oh, and another thing important to mention is that my "thinking" light on the pc is always on for some reason, eventhough I dont have any programs running on the backround and I just stay on desktop, that really weird.

The specific HD name is:
Samsung HD502HJ ATA 500GB.
My HD split into x2 drivers: C-main driver with windows installed (92gb free out of 149) and D-(190gb free out of 315)

I tried checking the device manager, see if there is a problem with the HD, but the pc recognize the HD and says "This device is working properly." so I really dont know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any helpers!

xoahzarodx

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hi ofek89.

That "thinking" light you mentioned should be the light indicating HDD activity.

I suggest you check resource monitor to see which process is reading/writing to your HDD even when you're idling.
I think you might have insufficient RAM so the system always access the page file on your HDD.

Most likely your noise comes from the moving acutator(read/write head) of your HDD. It's not uncommon to have this in high performance HDD. If that's the case you should be able to download some utility from your vendor to slow down the acutator while sacrificing some performance.

Hope it helps =)

ofek89

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
First of all, thanks for the reply.

How can I see if there is a process that reading/writing to my HDD when idling, and how/where can I get utility to perform such action as you mentioned?

Thanks in advance!

xoahzarodx

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
It's in Task Manager, there is a button "resource monitor" or something equivalent under the CPU cycle graphs.
Sorry I'm not using English OS so I don't know the specific term.

I've never used before such utilities, but you are looking for something with Automatic acoustic management (AAM) feature. As far as I can remember, it's a parameter between 128(quiet) to 254(performance).

ofek89

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I tried to format C and it seems like the sounds is more balanced now and happenes less often, might that solve the problem or should I still perform some checks?

What do you guys think?