Samsung Introduces 128 GB 3-bit eMMC For Mobile Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
So apple's iphone 6 Plus got a 6 month exclusive deal on the NAND it seems. Now other OEM's can buy it.

The same can be said for TSMC's 20nm SOC Process where apple got a 6 month exclusive on that manufacturing node.

It's nice to be apple i guess, but these practices hurt competition. Apple getting to big. I now reflect to the story of the Hobbit and how the dwarves were magnificent craftsman second to no-one. However their love for wealth and gold spawned all sorts of evil that ultimately led to their demise.

hurnii

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I thought Apple pulled TLC from production after early reports of constant rebooting after getting a flash update.

Also, with Samsung's still unresolved TLC slowdown issue with their 840 EVO line, I'm not sure how many would trust their TLC eMMC to not slow down read speed after data has been sitting awhile.

Calvin Huang

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
So apple's iphone 6 Plus got a 6 month exclusive deal on the NAND it seems. Now other OEM's can buy it.

The same can be said for TSMC's 20nm SOC Process where apple got a 6 month exclusive on that manufacturing node.

It's nice to be apple i guess, but these practices hurt competition. Apple getting to big. I now reflect to the story of the Hobbit and how the dwarves were magnificent craftsman second to no-one. However their love for wealth and gold spawned all sorts of evil that ultimately led to their demise.
I doubt Apple had an exclusive on the MLC tech that Samsung is developing. Samsung started producing 128GB 3-bit MLC memory cards in 2013. They had smaller sized cards using 3-bit NAND even before then.

SanDisk and Toshiba were developing 3-bit NAND on 56nm flash in 2008. This is long before Apple acquired Anobit, which is the MLC tech they adopted and then abandoned.

Anobit had just shrunk their MLC from 40+nm to 25nm in December of 2011 when Apple purchased them. In 2009, Samsung was already producing 20nm MLC. Samsung's new MLC is 10nm. It seems like there's a lot of parallel iterative development going on. Much of it is to address MLC's slower speeds and higher error rate.

SamQ

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
So Apple is charging $200 to include $44.80 worth of memory (16GB to 128GB @ $0.40/GB). Eh. Sheeple ... er ... I mean Apple customers ... are pretty much used to being fleeced so they won't really care. I mean, really, a $17K watch that cannot stand on it's own? Seriously? I still smile when I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts