Jun 20, 2019
Android version 9
One UI version 1.1

I've had this phone (J7 Pro) for about 2 years. The phone comes with 16GB of internal storage, well... that got filled up quite quickly considering about 5GB is for RAM. Anyways I got a 64GB SD Card a while back. I can move some apps to the external storage (the option is there for most apps, excluding system apps or apps pre-installed with the phone obvs), but there are quite a few stubborn apps that just go back to internal storage after a few hours/days of it being in external storage.

For over a year, I've had the same "Storage space running out" message on my phone, sometimes it went away once I had over 500MB of space left. There are a lot of apps that don't have the option to move (e.g. Twitter -200MB, Formula 1 app, Google messages - installed from the app store, Uber Eats (130MB). I'm not sure if it's my phone or just the apps.

I even installed a third-party app, App Mgr III, which made it easier to move apps, clear cache data for multiple apps etc. Like I said, there are some apps that simply don't have the option for external storage and need internal storage I guess but many apps I have, especially some large ones (over 200MB) simply can't be moved! After some updates, I was able to move and keep some apps like Snapchat in external storage. However many still remain in internal storage.

I can't remember if I formatted the SD card (probably didn't) but perhaps that had something to do with it? I thought most SD cards come pre-formatted so I didn't bother. Also I believe there was a way to make external storage as primary (seen as internal storage) on an older android version - Marshmallow I believe, is there any way to do something similar on Android version 9?

There's probably not much I can do since some apps are designed to function properly on the internal storage but it's worth a try to ask. Advice would be much appreciated :)