News Samsung launches 990 Evo Plus SSDs: 5nm controller and 45% speed boost

Ryrynz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Would be nice to have sata-like speed nvme ssd but with extremely low power consumption and extremely low heat output.

SATA is slow AF, wtf u talking about? Nerf the performance down so much the chip is basically just above ambient? WUT. Why do you need an SSD to be stone cold?
Why am I even replying..

kookykrazee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
$345 for the 4TB version? hopefully marketplace prices are cheaper than that.
Lexar NM790 is a way better deal.
On Samsung site the base price for the 990 PRO 4TB is $280, I get a small "governmental discount" so $260 and finally thinking of pulling the trigger on the PRO once because I have $220 in rewards :)

USAFRet

Titan
SATA is slow AF, wtf u talking about? Nerf the performance down so much the chip is basically just above ambient? WUT. Why do you need an SSD to be stone cold?
Why am I even replying..
Not every storage space needs to be uber speed.

My main system has 6x drives. all 1TB each.
Samsung 980 Pro, Intel 660p, and 4x SATA III SSD.

Works just fine for me.

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
$345 for the 4TB version? hopefully marketplace prices are cheaper than that.
Lexar NM790 is a way better deal.
Lexar is using low quality Chinese designed and manufactured flash memory chips that won't last as long as some of the better known competition. I would stay away from anything Lexar these days as they are no longer the company you once knew and trusted.

Reactions: aberkae

nrdwka

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2017
Why am I even replying..
Almost no one can distinguishvin blind test good sata-speed ssd (what hit constantly 520, no just "up-to") from top speed nvme as system drive.

And in laptop would be nice what sad does not hit almost same power draw as CPU.

I like sata ssds easy to disconnect when you will format some disk... no heat, some nvme can't go in sleep mode making the system power states null.

What speed they brag? 5 seconds at full speed and droop to sata speed? I really wish people know how good to have a optane on their system.